Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bugcode_USB_driver BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
so, after my frequently recurring crashes, this is what i have found.

When the BSOD comes up, it shows me the bugcode_USB_driver error.
According to the microsoft website:

SYMPTOMS
When a computer that is running Windows XP is accessing USB 2.0 hard disks under heavy stress conditions, you may receive a bugcheck 0xFE message

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER (fe)

The microsoft site said that this issue was fixed in the latest service pack for windows xp. (i.e. SP2 released many years ago)

thing is, i am on SP2 and this stuff still happens.
any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we'll try removing all the unique device information from the USB parameters and let Windows rebuild it.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

OPEN NOTEPAD...copy and paste the text between the lines ...
click on file...then...save as.. on the left side click on desktop...then in the file name box type in FIX.REG then in the box below that save as type..all files...then click save...you should see a new icon on your desktop ...double click it to run it..
should look like mine

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall any HP or unknown device under Printers.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE....

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function.

Edited by happyrck, 19 January 2008 - 08:02 AM.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
ok, i uninstalled all my usb drivers, excluding my mouse. i rebooted and they all reinstalled again, and then i rebooted a second time.
i have no printer devices, or anything else to uninstall.
Anything else i need to do, and im still looking out for any more crashes.
Thanks for the help!

Update: just got another crash 5 mins ago

Edited by shinakuma9, 19 January 2008 - 05:34 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to windows update ...use the custom option...and get all the critical and high priority updates ..plus any hardware updates.....check the software updates and get any of those that are for programs you use...

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
just a hunch, but could this be caused from an insufficient power supply?
i just unplugged my sound card yesterday and havent gotten a BSOD since.

Edited by shinakuma9, 20 January 2008 - 10:37 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i just unplugged my sound card yesterday and havent gotten a BSOD since.

that was your problem...

nehal

nehal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a different problem if u can help me out send an email to [email protected].. so here is the problem i cant use internet with using lan card becuase my computer dosent recognize it and i use beetel220bx modem so i installed a usb driver for it by downloading and then i downloaded another driver which i dont remember wat to make the internet faster ... it got faster but keeps showing this screen sometimes and its really annoying... pls help me

Edited by nehal, 04 April 2010 - 01:18 AM.