Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot locate internal modem for dialup use

• Please log in to reply

blackbat123

blackbat123

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello, my friend has just purchased a new computer, Advantiz 5107, and has been trying to set it up for internet use via dialup connection. I assume all computers come standard with an internal modem, but for some reason it can not be located on his. For example on my home pc, i can go into the control panel, then phone and modem options, then under the modems tab it will list my internal modem. But on his computer, it does not list an internal modem.

I tried going to the Advantiz website (advantiz.com/index.html) but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of information and support. Their support page is not available. They do have a contact page which lists a toll free phone number to call, and I will call that, but to be honest I feel more confident an answer and solution coming from the members of this board. Any ideas as to what the problem may be? His OS is Vista.

Regards

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I am willing to bet it doesn't find one because it doesn't have one.

Does this system have an RJ-11 port or are you trying to plug a phone cable into an RJ-45 (NIC) jack in the back of the system?

Murray

blackbat123

blackbat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Murray,

Yup we were plugging the phone cable into the back of the tower. It ran across my mind that it might not have one, but still kind of doubted that because i thought that would be too stupid to be possible lol.

And something else I thought about after the fact, but will checking the device manager show if indeed a modem is installed? How else can I know for sure?

And another question, if you don't mind, if there is not a modem installed, can you recommend a reasonably priced one compatible with Windows Vista. I've taken a look at a few on newegg.com and after reading some reviews, some don't specify what operating system they are compatible with and/or were found to not be compatible with Windows Vista after the fact.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Device Manager would tell you is there was an unidentified modem or piece of hardware. Just check it for anything with a yellow or red mark beside it.

As for Vista compatible modems, your best bet is to keep doing what you have been.

I haven't worried about dial-up (modems) for about 8 years now.

Murray

blackbat123

blackbat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Neither have I lol.. but he doesn't want to take that next step up to high speed yet.

Well thank you for your help and advice Murray. I'll check the device manager later and proceed from there.

:)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem. Let us know how it goes.

Murray