Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERVICES.EXE is crippling my notebook

• Please log in to reply

thesummers

thesummers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have suddenly encountered this problem and I'm thinking its a virus but I can't connect to the internet to download anything to fix it, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. Basically, as soon as I plug in my network cable (from a cable modem) my CPU Usage shoots up to 100%, rendering my PC useless. If I do manage to start ie or firefox, it cannot establish a connection. As soon as I take the network cable out and the connectivity icon disappears, my CPU usage goes back to normal and the computer works fine. When I manage to load up Task Manager, I can see that services exe is using 99% of the CPU. I've tried lowering the priority or terminating the process but it will not allow me to do so. This happened shortly after I installed, and promptly uninstalled a version of kazaa lite k++. Can anyone help me because this is a work computer and I'll get in trouble!! my system is a PIII (Don't know what the processer speed is) Toshiba notebook. Thanking you in advance! Luke

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You are infected, as you are aware.

We have a malware forum that is intended for such posts. Follow the link in my signature and follow the instructions at the top. Some you will be unable to follow because you cannot get on the Internet, but an alternative is to download the software to a cd, burn it, and then copy it to the unconnected machine. If a cd burner is unavailable, you should be able to get at least hijackthis on a floppy.