Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple hardware issues

• Please log in to reply

beat41

beat41

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, multiple issues with my PC.
Configuration : P4, 845 GV motherboard, bios version VA84510A.8GA.0023.
P08

1. It switches on directly on stwitchin on the mains(without having to

press the power button on the CPU)
2. On turning it on, it displays the message : "CMOS/GPNV checksum bad.

CMOS Date/Time not set" (changing the battery didnt help)
3. The monitor(SAMTRON) keeps giving the message "Control lock

locked/unlocked" intermittently.
4. Also get"CPU was previously shutdown due to a overheating issue"

message, once in a few days.
I have 2 Hard disks - 40GB Samsung(Primary) and a 250GB

Seagate(additional)
I installed SpeedFan and it shows me that the the seagate hard disk

gets heated very fast, often reaching 50 deg celcius withing an hour or

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok, lets see if we can fiqure this out. The problems may/ or may not be related.
We will have to pick away at this.
For some of this, I suspect heat. You need to check a few things.

With power off and unplugged.
1. Open the case and clean the heat sink and all fans. Be careful on the fans. Usually compressed air and q-tips to get the built up dust.
2. make sure all fans are working.

Turn power on with the cover off and watch all the fans, esp the heatsink fan on the CPU.
Install Everest (from my signature), expand computer and look at the sensors to verify your temps.
Let the computer run with the cover off to see if it will run better (to test for a temp/ cooling issue).

For the unit powering on without pushing the on button, I suspect a bad switch or a stuck one.
For the HD getting hot fast, it could also be related to heat. TR=his per a search could be the cmos error also.
The cmos/gpnv error has numerous solutions. Battery, CMOS corruption, ram bad, hardware failure, to list a few.

beat41

beat41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok, lets see if we can fiqure this out. The problems may/ or may not be related.
We will have to pick away at this.
For some of this, I suspect heat. You need to check a few things.

With power off and unplugged.
1. Open the case and clean the heat sink and all fans. Be careful on the fans. Usually compressed air and q-tips to get the built up dust.
2. make sure all fans are working.

Turn power on with the cover off and watch all the fans, esp the heatsink fan on the CPU.
Install Everest (from my signature), expand computer and look at the sensors to verify your temps.
Let the computer run with the cover off to see if it will run better (to test for a temp/ cooling issue).

For the unit powering on without pushing the on button, I suspect a bad switch or a stuck one.
For the HD getting hot fast, it could also be related to heat. TR=his per a search could be the cmos error also.
The cmos/gpnv error has numerous solutions. Battery, CMOS corruption, ram bad, hardware failure, to list a few.

Okay I cleaned up everything.Fans see to be working fine
Also installed Everest. It shows me only 1 sensor, for the hard disks.
For the CMOS/GPNV error, i changed the battery and ram but it didnt work. I think that the CMOS has probably corrupted. How can i fix it?