Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP FIXING XP's CORRUPT STARTUP FILES W/RECOVERY CONSOLE

• Please log in to reply

Assy McGee

Assy McGee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to repair a Win XP PRO installation using recovery console.

I've come down with the dreaded "Missing or corrupt windows root\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe" message on startup. So there's no logging on to Windows until I sort it out. But I do have a pretty decent idea of how to fix it. I've read up on several tutorials about the issue. But I hit a snag BEFORE I attempt to fix the problem.

My real problem is when I'm in the Recovery Console.
It tells me I need to enter the administration password...and I don't have that! Never have. I've always just logged on with the need to put a password in. That's how I set up the computer when I originally installed XP. This is my own personal computer for use at home with nothing associated to any business or work group. So, when I access the recovery console, logically I should just hit enter and continue on. But no dice. I tried even all passwords i used in my life.... and also left it blank...same results....it wants a administration password.

Now my question is how to by bypass that password or reset even reset it...as i cant go into windows (even with safe mode)

Here's a rundown my procedures

1. Hit F11 and go to the menu option for System Recovery Console

2. Hit "R" and continue to the DOS command line

3. After I answer the prompt for "Which windows installation would you like to log onto...",
I am prompted for the Administrator password before it can continue...

That's where I draw a blank. Nothing I do gets me past that last command line. I don't know what to type, because there's nothing to type, is there?

As a alternate solution to my corrupt windows root\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe and missing Administrator password problem, I thought I'd try working through XP's Setup menu. Intead of choosing "R" and going to the Recovery Console, I hit ENTER and carried on past the Windows XP License agreement to the XP setup menu. BUT there was not option listed to select the operating system I wish to repair. For a visual of what I mean, checkout:

http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsre...epair/part1.htm

The trouble is I have no option of repairing XP from the setup menu! It's missing.

To Summarize:
I'm stuck at the Recovery Console command line because it wants a Administration password that I never had setup or needed in the first place.

I can't use a alternative method by way of XP's Setup menu, because there is no option of repairing the previously installed version.

HELP! :)

Edited by Assy McGee, 21 January 2008 - 05:28 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have not set a admin password ..just leave it blank and tap enter

Assy McGee

Assy McGee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That's the first thing I tried. Didn't work. Like I said....for some [bleep] reason it insists that I enter a password.

When I leave it blank and hit enter I get the "Invalid Password" message. Frustrating.