Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASP .NET Machine Account is still there

• Please log in to reply

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi

I have installed Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. I then installed the following on my computer :

1) .NET Framework 1.1
2) .NET Framework 3.5

After that I had to click on my user account every time that I loaded Windows XP.

With the help of several websites I found out that .NET Framework 1.1 had creating "ASP .NET Machine Account" which was causing the login situation.
Microsoft's website advised me to download and install

3) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

so that "the automatic logon issue was corrected along with further security enhancements"

The .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 seemed to install successfully but I still have to login every time.

My Control Panel reads :
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hot Fix (928366KB)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

They suggested an alternative :

Start > Run and type in "control userpasswords2" >Ok.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option, and click Ok.

This seems like a compromise but I'm concerned that .NET Framework Service Pack 1 has not solved the problem.

Can anyone please offer me some suggestions?

Q. Could I uninstall v3.5 and v1.1, then re-install v1.1 and v1.1 Service Pack 1, and finally re-install 3.5? Would this help?

Edited by inspectordoppler, 21 January 2008 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be a note for the future, but when you install .net framework 1.1, install the Service Pack 1 straight after it, without rebooting. This will get round the spontaneous log-in chore that suddenly appears with the .net framework.

This is a long-known standing issue with net framework 1.1 and Windows XP.

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks, Neil.

Is it OK for me to uninstall and reinstall .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 without causing any problems?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can delete the ASP .Net account. It's not needed unless you are doing active .Net development.

Alternatively, you can install Microsoft's TweakUI and use it's Logon utility to specify what userid (and password) you want logged on automatically when XP boots.

Edited by Ztruker, 21 January 2008 - 06:42 PM.

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
That's great advice. Thanks, Ztruker.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please post back with how you make out (what path you take).

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
OK. I'll post back in about a week's time because I've got some work to do on my computer and I can't afford anything to go wrong with my system at the moment!

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
UPDATE

I uninstalled :

1) .NET Framework 3.5 (and previous versions including 2.0)
2) .NET Framework 1.1
3) My Graphics Card Driver which required either or both of the .NET Framework software (ATI Catalyst Control Center)

I then re-installed :

1) .NET Framework 1.1 AND .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 BEFORE RESTARTING MY COMPUTER (as suggested)
2) .NET Framework 3.5
3) My Graphics Card Driver

The result : Now I don't have to login every time my computer starts. Great!

Thank you very much for your superb advice. I would never have found this on Microsoft's website. I will also install Microsoft's TweakUI if and when I create another account as a guest account.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Thanks for letting us know.