Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC booting with blank monitor

• Please log in to reply

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again, I posted a few weeks back with a problem I was having (here) and the fix turned out to be that I had to repair or reinstall windows. So today I my sata dvd drive turned up so I installed it and installed the motherboard(m2n sli deluxe), processor(am2 x2 5600) and ram(2x1gb xms2 6400) into my case(p182).

Turned it on and nothing came on the screen, I fiddled with the monitor a bit and changed the connection to the second output and nothing changed. I tried the same graphics card in a different pci-e lane - same result. I then tried my second graphics card in both lanes and again, it was the same. My graphics card is an 8600 gts, my second graphics card is a 7100 gs. Last time i tried (24th december) the 7100 worked perfectly in it but it didn't work with the 8600. I know the 8600 works though because I am using it right now in my crappy socket 939 motherboard.

I thought it might be the power supply so I unplugged everything from the back, removed all the fans, dvd drive and took a gig of ram out but it had no effect. I'm really stuck and wondering whether I should just sell the parts off individually but I don;t really want to if one of them is faulty.

One last thing I tried was to reset the cmos because I might have changed some settings when I was in it last time - not sure why that would make the graphics not work but I looked in the manual and it was completely wrong. The manual showed a picture of 2 jumpers on a row of 3 pins, but on the motherboard there were 2 jumpers which had holes for 2 pins, then a row of 4 pins with a space, and under it a row of 3 pins. It said to move the jumpers from pins 1 and 2, to 2 and 3.

J = where the jumper is
+ = a pin
- = empty space

In the Manual:

from J J + to + J J

On the actual motherboard:
J J - +
- + J J

The only reason I mention this is that if the problem is in any way related to the bios then I have no idea what to do to reset it.

Please help if you have any ideas at all, thanks,

Tristan

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What psu are you using? Provide a link if possible
Is the ram installed in the black dimms?

Is there a case speaker connected and does the system beep?

To clear the cmos locate the jumper labled "CLRTC" move this jumper to pins 2&3, then with the computer unpluged remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes. Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2.

I think you have the clear cmos jumper confused with some other jumper, what is the jumper you changed labled?

Please answer all the questions then we will move on but it may be time for a bench test

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

What psu are you using? Provide a link if possible
Is the ram installed in the black dimms?

Is there a case speaker connected and does the system beep?

To clear the cmos locate the jumper labled "CLRTC" move this jumper to pins 2&3, then with the computer unpluged remove the motherboard battery for 10 minutes. Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2.

I think you have the clear cmos jumper confused with some other jumper, what is the jumper you changed labled?

Please answer all the questions then we will move on but it may be time for a bench test

Hey, I am using an antec 550 watt Smartpower 2.0. The only link I could find is this one. Only difference being that is a 500 watt version.

I had both ram sticks in yellow dimms, I thought they were dimms 1 and 3. I tried it with no ram sticks installed and then again with just 1 stick in dimm 1.

I got a speaker out my old case and plugged it in and it didn't beep at all - even when the ram wasn't installed. Now I know that may mean the motherboard has failed but I am not sure if it's that or that the speaker is broke because I haven't used it in a very long time. Also the only thing I have done with the motherboard since I last used it was keep it in its box. I am going to test whether the speaker works or not by plugging it into my current pc tomorrow morning. I would do it now but I can't.

I just got the motherboard out the box and had a look. I see the clear cmos bit, but I am just confused which are pins 1, 2 and 3. I can't describe it too well so I just took a picture of it here.
[Sorry about the quality but you can kinda make it out] This one is how the motherboard came with the jumpers already on it. This one is the same without the jumpers on the pins. As you may see there are 2 rows of pins, I don't know which pins I am supposed to plug them into or even which direction the bits of plastic are supposed to face.

Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thats enough info on the psu, I now know what you are using, its late and I will check the pics again tomarrow but I am a bit confused with the colors of the ram slots and the description the manual gives, we will get to the bottom of it tomarrow

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just got my pc back on. I tested the speaker and my second graphics card. I couldn't get the speaker to make any noise, so it is most probably dead. The second graphics card worked fine though.

The ram is in the slot closest to the cpu. You can see a picture of the motherboard here. I am pretty sure it isn't anything to do with ram though because I haven't moved it since I last used the motherboard and managed to get into the bios. You can also see the cmos headers.

What I mean is that in the manual it shows a normal 3 pin header. To clear all I have to do is move a jumper from pin 1 to pin 3 so I then have jumpers on pins 2 and 3. But I have 6 pins. So I have no idea which pins are 2 and 3.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The clear cmos jumper is located next to the motherboard battery, it is labled "CLRCT". Directly below that is a chassis jumpers, don't worry about them.

You are going to have to do a bench test

Try the bench test, lay the board only on a piece of cardboard and connect only

psu
cpu with fan&heatsink
video card
1 stick ram
mouse,keyboard, monitor
Case speaker

Clear the cmos, make sure the computer is unplugged from the wall outlet when you do.

Make sure the aux 12V from the psu to the motherboard is connected.

To start touch the 2 pins that the case switch is connected to with a screwdriver.

Just try and get it to post and see if it will enter bios like this

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just did it, the monitor came on! I used my old 300 watt power supply, my 7100 gs and both sticks of ram. The reason I didn't use my current power supply is..well if you've ever used a p182 you will know. All my cables are stuck behind the motherboard. I will go and try it with my hard drive and power supply now and report back whether it works or not.

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So I am on my new computer now. Got a few problems though. I installed windows xp but during that time I didn't have my motherboard screwed in, had no fans attached to the motherboard and only had the 1 power on cable attached instead of all the reset ones. After I had installed xp I decided to attach everything properly - turned it on and the monitor didn't work. Took everything off, still didn;t work. Decided to unscrew the motherboard - worked perfectly. I'm not sure why, but now I am afraid of plugging anything in, I can't leave my motherboard unscrewed either because it will fall off. Any ideas? If not thanks alot for your help.

Tristan

monkeyx01

monkeyx01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Problem solved. Those screws you screw into the base of your case and put your motherboard on top of then screw into them. I had the idea that the screws may be pushing the motherboard against some extra ones I may have left in by accident which would short the motherboard. I looked and there were 2 there that would have ust been touching against the motherboard - took them out and now I can put as many screws in as I want without any problems. Thanks for your help Doby.

tristan

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and great job finding that! That was the purpose of the bench test to isolate such errors