Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Error, My priviledges disabled

• Please log in to reply

EZneedshelp

EZneedshelp

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok when i open my computer or the internet a Command script page(compeltely black) appears and it is titled D:/WINDOWS/system32/rundll32.exe then another pop-up appears and its titled 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem and it says "D:/WINDOWS/system32/rundll32.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS: 0e96 IP:0123 OP:ff fc ea 85 61 Choose Close to terminate the application" then two buttons are there "Close" and "Ignore" i usually put close and it continues to open my computer(extremely slowly) but when i try to access my system in control panel or add or remove programs that same message comes up and it doesnt let me open it up. that means i cant open anything thats not a folder so i cant open the properties of anything or change the time.......but i can access things like my network connections because they are folders...... please i would appriciate any help.....

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

EZneedshelp

EZneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok i did as you asked and boot-up with BOTH services and start-up diabled all and i still have that window pop us everytime i open internet explorer or control panel or my computer..... it lets me access them but it was always appears and i cant access non-folder things...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

EZneedshelp

EZneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Tigger93 was the one who told me to come here because i was in the malware forum already

here is the link to my topic.... http://www.geekstogo...an-t181783.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it may be that your account is hosed..try to make a new user account...different name than the one you now have...give it admin rights...see if the problem goes away using that account...
go here... to see how to use a command to create a new account if windows wont let you create it thru the control panel
======================
or try this...
NOTE..this only works with xp pro
click Start... Run... Type in lusrmgr.msc and press Enter ...With Users selected in the left pane, choose Action... New User..Fill out the dialog box with the new user name and other desired options... Click Create....

Edited by happyrck, 22 January 2008 - 05:06 PM.

EZneedshelp

EZneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok i tried adding a new account and i logged into it and it was worse that this account...... that pop-up appeared everywhere and i still couldnt access anything.....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A Google search for The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction gets lots of hits. Most eventually end up being some kind of malware infection.

In a few cases, installing SP2 fixed the problem.

One Microsoft page said a corrupted command.com can cause this.

Have you tried running sfc /scannow? That will check a specific set of system files to see if they are missing or corrupted. You will need your XP CD.

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

EZneedshelp

EZneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok i didnt search for it on google but i did the scan with my original xp +sp2 scan and now im completely cured i can acess everything... i would like to thank all who helped me....

Thanks Alot!!!!!!