Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Video card

• Please log in to reply

GaryTheGreat

GaryTheGreat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been told that when upgrading a video card, one should uninstall the old video card drivers first before putting in the new video card. SO, Here's my question. If I did that, how would i see anything on my monitor to install the new video card drivers. Am I missing something here?

Also, along the same line. I was also told that it's best NOT to install the drivers that come with the new video card. You should go online and download the newest ones. BUT, again. Wouldn't that mean that my video card would not work and therefore i would just have a blank screen?
I will be getting the new card later this week and don't want to mess this up

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Whenever you uninstall a graphics driver it does not stop in from functioning. It will only cause it to perform poorly. You will be perfectly fine working without drivers during the installation of your new card.

You have it right. Uninstall old graphics drivers. Replace the card. Install new drivers.

GaryTheGreat

GaryTheGreat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You

I knew it had to be something simple. Better to ask a simple question than end up with a complex problem.