Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! CCleaner deleted all of "My Documents"

• Please log in to reply

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
On Jan 19 I ran CCleaner with no custom anything selected (same settings as I've run for the past year) and then the registry issue fixer (backed up first) and voila my entire "My Documents" folder is gone. All of the other programs and functions are fine except all of my stuff! I have Carbonite but am having some issues with that. Is there anyway to get my files back? I've tried UnEraser but it finds like 40000 files. I've tried Recuva but it won't scan...keeps coming up with "Recuva encountered an error and needs to close."

Any suggestions?

Amanda

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello, Have you tried the system restore feature? You could try restoring it to a point before you ran CCleaner.

-AgentMES

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes I first restored to an earlier point in the day and then two days prior. Everything restored except the My Documents.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hmm... Maybe you should post your HiJackThis log in the HiJackThis logs section of the forums and one of the experts will help you out. :)

-AgentMES

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does it still exist here:

C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\My Documents

I've never heard of CCleaner causing anything like this. I would expect My Documents to still be there but probably some registry entry got messed up. Did you try restoring the registry changes CCleaner made?

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes. When I was prompted to save the reg before changes I did and after "My Docs" were missing I merged the file to the registry to undo the changes. Still Missing.....

BTW, Just out of curiousity what kind of registry setting would do such a thing? I will be watching for any weird registry suggested fixes in the future!

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You did not answer the first part of my question, does it still exist in:

C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\My Documents

Miner Quad

Miner Quad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
No it does not.

Sorry about that.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
You should probably post your HiJackThis log then. :)