Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed Update--Error Message 8000ffff

• Please log in to reply

Keeb Daddy

Keeb Daddy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, this is honestly the first problem I've had with Vista... the little annoyances that most people complain about were easy to shut off, and Vista has been a joy for me so far... except of course that it is a resource hog...

my problem concerns updates... I have been able to update with no problems, both manually and automatically, up until just the other day...

last Wednesday I installed 2gb more of ram, and my machine is now maxed out at 4gb... the new ram was recognized no problem, and everything runs smoothly and much faster...

but that day was the last day updates were able to run successfully... now I get an "update failed error code 8000ffff" message every time... I opened the update history details, and the update is regarding Vista equipped machines running more than 3gb of ram... so obviously this bug is a result of upgrading ram...

I tried a system restore to 2 days before my ram upgrade, and I also repaired the registry, but to no avail...

any thoughts???

I run a Dell Dimension E521 with AMD dual-core 4200; 4 gb ram; 250gb HD; Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Like I said, I haven't had any other problems with Vista, it's been fine for me...

also, updates will still install for the various drivers and software, just not for Windows itself...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Advertisements

Keeb Daddy

Keeb Daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
well, maybe this is an old problem-- hence the no responses-- or maybe no one knows the answer...

but after further research and much digging I found a solution... so if anyone cares, here it is:

go to your update history and double click on the failed download, this will open a box that contains two links for help... the top link is what you want, follow it and manually download the update file... do not run the file, save it to your desktop... next go to my computer, programs and features (install/uninstall programs)... on the left menu is Installed Updates, click it and a window opens with all the updates... scroll down and find the hotfix for your failed update (mine was kb292777)... uninstall the hotfix, reboot your computer, and when it's ready you simply double click the update file that you saved to your desktop... it will install as intended, no more problem... voila!!!

I hope this was easy enough to follow, it is fairly self-explanatory once you get going... I am not very computer savvy, and this was a breeze for me...

Mufassa

Mufassa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Keeb Daddy,

I have just joined the forum, only to tell you, that your fix worked perfectly for me- Thank you lol

I've been browsing across the net looking for a solution for this prob (I also have 4gb ram) I followed your details exact, and yep, it worked.

Cheers mate, I will do this for all my updates from now on.

Thanks