Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Critical Stop wav file

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

About a minute after I boot up/reboot my pc, the Windows Critical Stop sounds. I just went through my pc with a lot of Malware programs in Regular Mode, Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networrking and only cookies were found. My computer seems to run ok the rest of the time that I'm on it and my I have no noticeable problems with my hardware.

Any idea of what it could be? What would be doing something a minute after my pc boots up that would cause the wav sound?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may have accidentally set the Critical Sound as the default Windows' load sound. Go to Start>Control panel and select Sounds and Audio Devices. Select the Sounds tab. Look through the Options there and make changes as needed. Especially look under the Start Windows for which sound is selected.

Ron

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The Critical Stop wav sounds about a minute after my pc has completely booted up. The Start Windows wav already sounded about 1/2 min prior to complete boot-up and another 1/2 min to when the Critical Stop sounds. It's a stumper alright.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then you need to check through the list of Window events where the Critical Stop wave may be applied. Also, some application you have running may be initiating the wav after Windows loads. These would be listed in your Startup list on boot.

Ron

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

you need to check through the list of Window events where the Critical Stop wave may be applied

Where do I find this list/how do I do this?

some application you have running may be initiating the wav after Windows loads. These would be listed in your Startup list on boot.

I don't get a start-up list when I boot up. I can check Task Manager.

Edited by Denisejm, 25 January 2008 - 03:01 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I thought you had already went to Start>Control panel and select Sounds and Audio Devices from my post #2. That gives you the system sound scheme that may be applied. Look on the Sound tab. The list is under Program Events.

Or, you could just select on the Sounds tab from the drop down menu to have No Sounds. If you still get the Critical Wave sound on reboot, then another program is initiating it.

Programs set to start on boot up are on the Start Tab. Click Start and then Run. Type in msconfig and click OK. Select Start tab. Will have to leave it up to you which program may be causing it. You could uncheck them all, reboot and see if the wave stopped. If it did, then you could add back one program at a time until wave appears.

Alternate method is to write down all programs that are set to start at boot up. Open them up one by one and check each and every Sound Option/Preferences that can be set.

Ron

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I have Windows XP Pro X64. In Audio Devices, it lists the wav sounds but it doesn't list the program that last used it and I can't change the programs that use it/reason for the sound.

Unless you answer my questions, I can't proceed. In my last post, I asked

you need to check through the list of Window events where the Critical Stop wave may be applied

Where do I find this list/how do I do this?

some application you have running may be initiating the wav after Windows loads. These would be listed in your Startup list on boot.

My start-up list has Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office and Webshots.

I looked up Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab > Sounds > Critical Stop. The sounds listed don't state which program uses the sound, just the name of the sound.

I'll shut off the two programs that are in my Start Menu to see if the Critical Stop was stops.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To see what events have been logged:

Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter

To see what is starting at boot time:

Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab to see what applications are starting.
Next, click on the Services tab then check the Hide all Microsoft Services box. Whats left is services added by programs that were installed, not XP services.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I see that it's going to be a trial and error effort. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.