Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway GT5034 won't power up

• Please log in to reply

BobM610

BobM610

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just got a used Gateway GT5034 today that was bought "as is". I knew buying it that it would not power up. I purchased a new 300 watt power supply for it , installed it and still nothing. My older E-machines had the same problem with a new power supply that lasted all of maybe 6 to 8 hours of use when that power supply failed, installed a new one and it works fine now. So is there something anyone out there can point me towards to look at on this machine? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On dead computers i go thru a checklist i made up.

1. Replace memory
2. Replace PS
3.Check all connections( unplug and replug)
(I may try jumping the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver here.)
4. Replace CPU ( if possible)
5. Replace motherboard

If all these fail i strip the computer for parts. If i do not have the parts available to test i still strip it out. Any computer older than 3 years old is not worth more than 3 hours of my time fixing before i have exceeded its value.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
a quick check of the motherboard.... look at the capacitors ( small can-like objects ) are any bulging or look like they are leaking? if so you have a dead motherboard