Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer logs on then logs off

• Please log in to reply

thundercats

thundercats

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please help. I have a dell desktop that loads up and when i come into the user accounts i log in it goes for like a minute then logs me off automatically. even in safe mode it does it. i have tried - repair last good known configuration and nothing happens but the same thing. also with the administrator access. i have tried to put the xp cd in to repair but where you select to set up windows xp it has unknown disk. when i get to the license part and press F8 it gives me an error of a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

problem caused by the following file: setupdd.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.
PLease help and if my data can be saved i would appreciate because i have weddings pictures there and my wife really wants them back.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello thundercats...

The first place I'k look for this error is the RAM modules or a recently installed piece of hardware. To test the RAM, download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. The instructions for creating the disk (it's easy) and using the tool are under the heading "Quick Start Information". Boot your machine with this disk in the drive and let it run a minimum of four complete passes. Any failure in any test may indicate a bad RAM module. To quit the test, press the X key and remove the disk, or simply shut the machine off.

wannabe1

thundercats

thundercats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ill try this tonight wannabe1. Thanks for the input. ill let you know if it works or not.

thundercats

thundercats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok i ran the windows memory diagonostic tool. It came up with
Slot 'DIMM_1': 273
Slot 'DIMM_3': 0
Slot 'DIMM_2': 0
Slot 'DIMM_4': 0

now i dont know what to do next. Is ther anyway to fix my computer and keep my files?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You apparently have a bad module in slot one. Try removing that module and see if the machine will start normally. If you only have one module installed, you should replace it.

Changing out a RAM module will in no way affect your files.

thundercats

thundercats

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks so much for the help so far wannabe1. I really dont know a whole lot about computers besides i use one everyday. so if i only have one then i can go buy another and everything will be fine. Second if i have more then 1 then i can just remove that one that is messing up and leave it off. Finally where would i look to find it. I will open up my computer tonight and check it. so any info you can provide would really be helpful.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model number of your machine? I'll see what I can do about giving you some clear instructions for making the change.

If you DO have more than a single module installed, removing just the one that's in slot 1 may get you up and running.