Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Like Mozilla Firefox. Safe to trash-can IE7?

• Please log in to reply

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I know this may be a dumb question but I have to ask. My wife and I are happy with Mozilla Firefox. Am I safe to take IE7 off her HP Pavilion or should I leave it be? I doubt we will use it again. And I don't want it about if it poses any security threats by being on the PC. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. HP Pavilion a1130n Desktop w/ Win XP Media Center OS; via DSL. Using Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security along with Lavasoft Ad-Aware freebie edition.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Leave it be as sometimes IE is required for some sites. No security problem if you never open the browser as the exploits can't be used.

If you do not want to ever open IE again, please install Firefox's extension IETab. A good sub for IE though is Maxthon, but it does use the same IE type engine.

I use Firefox extensively all the time. It does have a problem of using up more and more memory the longer it stays open. Just close/reopen to reset memory usage. You can check this in Task Manager if you wish.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 25 January 2008 - 01:34 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Major Payne is right...there are a few sites that won't work with firefox and ietab lets you view those...you can't remove IE becuase its part of windows...if you uninstall IE 7 it just rolls it back to IE 6...

you really dont need to use IE at all...you can get all the windows updates thru the software patch using firefox and then install them

Edited by happyrck, 25 January 2008 - 08:16 AM.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Major Payne & happyrck. Thank you both for your good advice. I appreciate your answers.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're more than welcome. Hope we helped.

Ron