Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all drivers missing

• Please log in to reply

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Nope...on-board sound is part of the chipset and your chipset drivers are installed. The drivers it requires for the sound to work are there, too...but they won't install. That usually means they can't find the device that needs them...because it has failed. I always include a PCI soundcard when I build a machine...you'll have better sound, too.

hmm i suppose. i mean if i have better sound. can i get any soundcard or does it have to be a certain one

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Obviously, the more you pay...the more you get.

Like happyrck, I haven't had good experiences with Turtle Beach cards, but Creative makes a decent card at a reasonable price, You'll want a PCI card...according to the report, you have one PCI slot availabel.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hmm ok , thnak you for all your help you guys, maybe now that i get a new card the computer wont shut down randomly

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't see anywhere in the topic where you've mentioned random shutdown. That's a little more serious than losing your sound...why didn't you bring that up before now?

How does it run in safe mode. Does it still shut down randomly?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
yah i didnt really mention it since i was more worried about my sound, it shut off once when i was in safe mode. i have the feeling that it has somethign to do with norton because i had norton 360 and when i was backing up or running a scan it would usually reset then i got norton 2008 from my brother and it reset in safemode, i dont recall but i may have been scanning that time as well.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Random shutdowns is a lot more serious than no sound. Almost always indicates a hardware problem.

Could be overheating due to dust/dirt buildup inside the case, clogged fans, fans not working. Could be the power supply going bad, could even be caused by defective memory.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Random shutdowns is a lot more serious than no sound. Almost always indicates a hardware problem.

Could be overheating due to dust/dirt buildup inside the case, clogged fans, fans not working. Could be the power supply going bad, could even be caused by defective memory.

wow, not a great day, my computer is dying peice by peice

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The first thing you need to do is power off the computer and unplug it from the A/C power. Open the case and look inside, see how dirty it is. If there is significant dust buildup, buy a can of compressed air ($5-$6) from any computer store, Staples or Office Depot. Use it to blow out the inside real well. Make sure you do the power supply intake and exhaust openings, fans and the heat sink on the CPU.

Next, check all the cables, PCI cards and memory sticks, make sure they are firmly seated.

Leave the case open and plug the A/C back in and power up. Make sure all fans are turning.

Post back with results.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
alright well i opened it up and the fan was pretty dusty and i pushed in everything firmly . so far no reset but then again it was never on a regular schedual anyways

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
just a quick question and then you guys can close this thread...unless i find out the sound still isnt working after i buy my soundcard but Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card . anyone know anything about this card? is it worth it, also after i have a good soundcard will my sound be better even if i have crappy speakers or should i try for speakers as well

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the reviews for that card seem pretty good...here..
with that said..... crappy speakers will not give you good sound no matter what card you put in period

Edited by happyrck, 31 January 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
thanks alot. ill pick up some decent speakers as well