Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Desktop Remote Login

• Please log in to reply

Don_M

Don_M

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm trying to log in to my desktop from my laptop. Laptop has Windows Vista Home Basic O/S; desktop has Window XP Pro SP2. The login asks for my user name and password. When I enter it as per the desktop XP, the Vista gives me an error message that it is unable to log me on. Am I using the right source for my username and password? Microsoft support has been no help.
Thanks for your input.

...Don

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Don :)

You need to use the log in information of the user account on the Vista machine. That account also has to have permission to be able to log in remotely.

Right click my computer >select properties > click on 'remote settings' on the left side of the window.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Also make sure that you have it allowed as an exception.

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
umm and make sure you have people that are awake when reading your posts :) I answered you backwards Don. I thought you were accessing the Vista Machine from the XP machine, not the other way around.

You have to enter an existing account that has permission on the computer you are accessing. in this case... a user account on the xp machine.

To change the settings right click my computer>select properties> go to the remote tab