Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antec Nine Hundred

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm wondering how to get the best cooling performance out of my case. I read somewhere that optimal airflow would be to have the front two fans on low, with the rear fan and the 200mm fan on medium.

i've just had all 4 sit on High.

The Antec Nine Hundred has two 120mm fans mounted at the lower front f the case, a 200mm fan on the top of the case, at the rear (where a PSU would normally go. The PSU is mounted at the bottom), and a 120mm fan at the rear top. I have just a lame CPU fan (probably 92mm or whatever), and a 120mm fan on my PSU. The PSU is mounted upside down, due the the case having the PSU mounted on the bottom.

What would be the best way to keep a video card cool? I can install two more 120mm fans (On the side of the case, and there is a mount on the back of the drive cage thing for one), but would prefer not to. I'm in debt already.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I have the same case, and I have the two extra fans. All of them are on low, and all of my components are sufficiently cool.

To keep your video card cool, your best bet would be to use RivaTuner to manually increase the fan on the video card. I have noticed that the fan on the side of the case does keep the video card a bit cooler, due to the fact that is blowing directly on it. However, increasing the GPU fan speed with RivaTuner makes a much larger difference.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've only just heard about this 'RivaTuner' in the last 24 hours. Would you be able to provide an explanation of what it is and what it does, and perhaps a link? :)

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Oh, how mucher higher is my chance of damaging the fans by leaving them on high all the time?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've had the fans on my Antec 900 running wide open for several months without a hitch.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Oh, how mucher higher is my chance of damaging the fans by leaving them on high all the time?

I don't think they would be damaged (maybe in the long run they would wear out a bit faster...), but it's just that I like my fans to sound like fans, not like a jet engine. :)

RivaTuner is a freeware program developed by Alexey Nicolaychuk for the NVIDIA video cards from the Riva TNT to the GeForce 8800 series and also have limited support for the ATI video cards from the Radeon 8500 and above.

It allows to make driver-level Direct3D and OpenGL tweaking, this feature is only available for the NVIDIA video cards, and low-level hardware access.

It support the NVIDIA drivers from the Detonator 2.08 to the newest ForceWare.

RivaTuner currently works Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 x32, Windows XP, Windows Vista, but Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows Me are no longer officially supported.

RivaTuner homepage
Gotta love Google, eh?

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Thanks. Much appreciated. I don't have much time for googling things right now. Running between this computer, a old really bad laptop i'm trying to install Ubuntu onto, homework, and my guitars.

I really appreciate you guys actually going to the trouble of typing something into google for me :)

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I just sold my antec 900 to a budie but I had it for 2 years and ran the fans on high all the time left it on all night and all day. The case has good cooling. I would not think running your fans on high will not hurt it If you can put up with the extra sound. The worst part of the case when I owned it was all the dust. Thing was like a vacume cleaner. It was also kinda a pain to hide all the cables but you can do it. Easy to buy antec tri cool fans to change the color or replace them if they go out.