Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

- - - Upgrading My PC - - -

• Please log in to reply

Logitek

Logitek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hmm ... I have some questions and I hope that you can help me ... I know you can :) :) :) You are the best :)

My current configuration is :

AMD Duron 750 Mhz
ChainTech 7AIA Motherboard ( 1 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP 4x, 2 DIMM, Audio Onboard )
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
256 Mb SDR ( 2 x 128 Mb PC 133 [LAT: 3.3.3.6 ] )
Western Digital Caviar 80 Gb 7200 RPM - 2 Mb Buffer ( ATA33 )
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 64 Mb DDR 64 Bit ( AGP 4x )
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52x - 2 Mb Buffer
Audio Onboard C-Media 8738
LG StudioWorks 575N CRT 15"
Altec Lansing AVS 300 2.1 Speakers
Genius Comfy KB-19e
A4Tech X-750F 2500 DPI Gaming Mouse

I want to change my current CPU with an AMD Duron 1300 Mhz and the Video Card with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with 128 Mb - 128 Bit ...

My problem is ... which is better : the FX 5200 64 Mb DDR 64 Bit ( AGP 4x ) or the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with 128 Mb DDR 128 Bit ( AGP 4x ) for games, movies, and video apps ??? :)
Which of them will run Warcraft 3 TFT, Red Alert 2 YR, Worms 4 Mayhem, C&C Generals ZH, Counter-Strike 1.6, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Hellforces better ? ? ? :)

Also ... instead of changing my CPU with an AMD Duron 1300 Mhz I have the possibility of changing the whole motherboard with an Intel one ( that supports the same SDR ram and AGP 4x ) ... with a Intel Pentium III CPU that runs at 800 Mhz ...
Which of them ( AMD Duron 1300 mhz or Intel PIII 800 Mhz ) will run games, apps, windows xp sp2 better ? ? ?

many thanks to those who reply :)

Cya Guys :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you do not buy at least a intel 2.4 or AMD 2400 system you will find the computer to be quite slow. You will not be able to play any of those games on that slow of a computer. Please do yourself a big favor and consider buying a new computer capable of running these games you want.

http://www.tigerdire...p;Sku=V133-3252

The above computer is what you will need to run most of your games well. It would be wise to spend the money where it is needed to do what you want, than spend half that amount to end up with a computer that is not capable of running the games.

SRX660

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well ... first of all thanks for your reply SRX :)

That computer on TigerDirect is quite fancy I could say but ...

I am currently saving more money to buy a better one ( no offence :) ) for about 1000 $

The parts I told you about are FREE from one of my friends who upgraded recently . I now ask you which one of them is better ? As for those games ... I actually played most of them on MAXED OUT settings on my PC ( really ! ) except for HL2,Doom3,Hellforces & far cry ( who load very slow and run choppy at minimum settings ). As you can see most of them are 2001 - 2004 games so ... I can play them pretty good :)

Could you please tell me which parts are better ? :)

Thanks;) :)

Edited by Logitek, 26 January 2008 - 05:11 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now that its cleared up about using a old computer, heres what i have experienced.

I found the TI-4200 video card to be better than the fx5200 at games.

Now personally when the AMD was king of the CPU's a couple of years ago i used them and forgot all about the Intel CPU's. Also, i would prefer the duron 1300 to the intel 800 any day. The plus for the duron is it can be overclocked quite a lot( i had one overclocked by 50%). Just make sure you have a good cooling fan, because if the AMD cpu's get too hot they will fry usually taking the MB with them.

The only problem i see here is that your motherboard May not support the duron 1300 so you wont be able to use it.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 26 January 2008 - 07:45 PM.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks a lot SRX :) now that's the kind of answer I was trully expecting :)

First I'll go for the Ti4200 as it has double the ram and bus speed ( 128 mb & 128 bit ) YEY !!! :)

Second I'll go for sure with the Duron 1300 as you told me . I also found some tests regarding both CPUs, on tom's hardware and the duron beat the pIII in almost every test ( the pIII won in winrar and some sandra CPU benchmark )
My mobo supports the amd duron 1300 because it's still on Socket A (462), only the core is Morgan, not Spitfire like my current 750 mhz duron :)