Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB related Booting Problems

• Please log in to reply

maddoxfanx

maddoxfanx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've come across this horrible problem where my computer seems to not start up whenever USB cables are connected to the back of it.

I was able to start up my computer using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and then disconneting the USB cables in the back of my computer. My USB devices work just fine once I connect them, but they keep my computer from booting up. My system still doesn't boot up when the PS/2 user inputs and the USB devices are plugged in at the same time.

Anyone have an idea of how I can fix this?

My Current Boot Sequence:

1st Boot Device CD/DVD-0:_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
2nd Boot Device IDE-0: ST320001A
3rd Boot Device Disabled
4th Boot Device BBS-0(Network) : Intel UNDI, PXE
Try other Boot Devices Yes

My system specs:

http://support.gatew...s/4410sp3.shtml

+ ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
+ Kingston 1GB DDR RAM

Edited by maddoxfanx, 26 January 2008 - 03:35 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Please explain in detail what you mean by not bootup? Are there errors or does it just boot to a black screen?

Try with only the usb keyboard and mouse pluged in and report back if its any better, if it won't boot with only the usb mouse and keyboard but does with ps2 then that suggest that either the keybord or mouse are bad

maddoxfanx

maddoxfanx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Please explain in detail what you mean by not bootup? Are there errors or does it just boot to a black screen?

Try with only the usb keyboard and mouse pluged in and report back if its any better, if it won't boot with only the usb mouse and keyboard but does with ps2 then that suggest that either the keybord or mouse are bad

Well I have a Gateway computer. Basically what happens is that the Gateway splash screen comes up and that's it. Nothing else. I didn't hear anything start up in my computer and it just stayed on that one splash screen.

Also, I've tested it earlier this morning, but the USB Keyboard and Mouse doesn't work. I don't think I tried it with my printer (the other USB peripheral) yet, but I'll give that a try tommorrow.

A suggestion I've gotten from a friend is to turn off the "Try other boot devices" in BIOS. Think that might work?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try unpluging the printer first and see if it will boot with only a usb keyboard and mouse plugged in if it still won't boot that suggests its either the keboard or mouse.

You could have a look in bios and disable the "boot other devices" but unless you made recent changes to bios before the problem started then I doubt that will help