Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CTRL + ALT + DEL?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ewwwwwe..... :) Norton is a real system hog......

Open Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab. What process is taking up the mose CPU time?

Advertisements

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
System is flickering from 85-99 then task manager is 5 and a few more they go from 0-7

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
should i uninstall norton and get a new virus protection etc? if so any ideas on what one

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...which process is using the most memory under the Mem Usage column?

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
1st) svchost.exe 30,448k 2nd)IEXPLORE.EXE 29,264k 3rd)ccApp.exe 18,320

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The ccapp process is Norton. Internet Explorer is using a bit much, but is not entirely out of line. svcHost can use that much and more depending on how many services are dependent on it, and multiple instances of that process running is normal.

Let's get the rig checked for malware by the experts,,,just to rule it out. Some malicious software, particularly rootkits, can hide from almost all scanners. Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you will post a link to your topic there for me, I'll follow along with the malware expert...it may help me to see what's going on in there.

AVG or Avast both make good free AV programs that won't hog your resources. If you want to pay for one, NOD32 is about the best and it has a small system footprint, as well.

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Bro im kinda confussed i just folo all the steps dl the programs etc right ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Skip down to the HiJackThis section and follow those instructions to post a log in the Malware Forum. An expert will reply to that topic as soon as one becomes available.

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Wannabe1 I done it heres the link http://www.geekstogo...NK-t185185.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool. Let's see what's the experts have to say. There's entries in there that I don't recognize, but I'm certainly no malware expert... :)

Advertisements

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
By the way thanks for helping me so far :)

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Dled that avg free anti spyware scanning atm half way thro the scan its picked up 3 tracking cookies and my other scanners didnt :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome... :)

swaps4

swaps4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Question is there any software i can dl to make my comp a lil faster or a firewall to warn me when viruses are found etc atm i got norton and it takes up a lot of mem like you said ( free one please :))

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before looking for performance changes, let the malware folks do their thing.

Zone Alarm and Comodo are both good free firewalls.