Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large icons

• Please log in to reply

xsoulz

xsoulz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i posted this on another forum and got no replies :) so i hope someone would be kind enough to help here.
well im using windows xp and for some reason my icons have all turned large i have no idea why can someone please help me.
This is what happened i minimized all windows right clicked and properties - settings - advanced and i had a tab called S3Display, clicked it then it opened all my mininzed windows and the icons turned big can some please give me some tips on how to fix it any help would be great
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
thanks anyone who could help

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sometimes strange things can happen to XP for no apparent reason. Have you checked in your display properties to see what the settings are? Look in Appearance and themes, Display, click the Appearance tab, click the advanced button. Scroll down to the Icon line. Icons should be set at 32, and the font size should be at 8. If either are changed to a larger size the Icons themselves will be larger to accomodate the change. I have seen a program that installed its own Icon that was larger causing all the Icons to match the size. I could not get this 36 pixel Icon to resize in windows so i ended up using a ICON making program to resize the Icon and replaced it. I ended up installing TweakUI to make it work.

SRX660

xsoulz

xsoulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply, ive check it and the icons are at 32 and text at 8 and all the other settings still seems to be the same but for some reasons the icons are still big, the desktop and start menu icons are ok but when i click all programs the icons on there are large and some are blurred such as my office and ie icons, my system tray icons are also large and for some reason its showing the day when it normally only shows the time

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First thing I would do is go to the S3 web site and download the latest driver for your adapter/chipset.

Then open Device Manager and delete the Display Adapter. Reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the drivers, see if that fixes it.

If not, , then boot to Safe Mode and select VGA mode. That will start XP in VGA (640x480) mode. Install the new S3 driver you downloaded and see if that fixes it.

Edit:
Completely forgot about System Restore. Before doing anything else, try System Restore to a date before this happened. This is the kind of problem it was designed to fix.

Edited by Ztruker, 26 January 2008 - 08:32 PM.

xsoulz

xsoulz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i tried system restore but no matter what date i select i always get a message about unable to restore to the selected point select another restore point and when i start my computer in safe mode to try will it work my cursor freezes at the welcome screen and im unable to select my user account or am i suppose to wait for a while before my cursor starts working?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, you should not have to wait for the cursor to free up.

Try the VGA option from the Safe Mode menu then. That should get you to VGA (640x 480) resolution and allow you to boot and install the S3 driver.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would now go to the Malware removal forum and see if you have a problem with bad programs causing the problems on your computer.

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

SRX660