Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CANNOT Load AGV free virus program

• Please log in to reply

medsurg

medsurg

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello and please help!
I am not a computer geek here, so bear with me.
I have a used computer . It has Windows Xp and Mozilla Firefox and IE as my browsers.. Internet Explorer does not work, so I use Mozilla.
Recently my Norton Anti Virus went outdated (2004), so I uninstalled it successfully and am now trying to download AGV free Anti-Virus. When almost finished downloading it says:Some installation files are corrupt; please download a fresh copy and retry installation; CRC failed in files.dat, unexpected end of archive..what the heck can I do and what does this mean? I tried about 10 times to download this and no go..any help much appreciated! THis is driving me nuts..someone said to run a scan for viruses but I don't have any program..I tried to install a free one and even that was a no go..PLEASE help!

Edited by medsurg, 26 January 2008 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You said Norton was uninstalled safely. If you used the normal uninstall program that comes with Norton, not all files were removed and they may be blocking install of other anti-virus programs.

You may have to reinstall your Norton to use this tool, but this one will remove everything:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

This tool is Symantec.com's own tool.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 January 2008 - 03:50 PM.

medsurg

medsurg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi
I cannot use that download to remove..as I don't have the product code for Norton anti virus..I went into my Control panel ;uninstalled Norton anitvius and all Symantecs and updates..also was on another GEEK squad and they gave me another removal program that worked and follwed up w/ CCleaner..
still don't know why I cannot load AVG??

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need your Norton Product Key to remove Norton with the removal tool. It'll ask you for a generated security key but that's just a security device so you don't run the thing straight through without thinking.

medsurg

medsurg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys ~
I still CANNOT download AVG free anti-virus..I uninstalled and did all of the above and used the Symantec removal..any ideas what's wrong?My computer says: that Some installation files are corrupt and please download a fresh copy and retry installation.
I origally had McAffe and Norton Anti-virus, but I uninstalled them, then rebooted and also did CCleaner..still no go on AVG..any help much appreciated..I did everything on here that everyone suggested..

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
May or may not help:

Difficulties installing AVG Free Edition

#634 might be worth reading even if Norton is uninstalled.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 27 January 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Try another anti virus program, or try downloading AVG from another source. Try Avast Anti Virus.

medsurg

medsurg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
SELTOX~
Thanks for your fast reply..
I downloaded another Anti-virus program and so far so good..it found a Trojan Virus , so I had that removed and the computer is now working MUCh better; THANKS to you!!!! :)

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm glad to hear that :)

If you ever need trouble removing a particularly bad virus, the folks in the malware forum here will be a lot of use, also.