Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor,Ram,Vid Card Questions

• Please log in to reply

facethecannon

facethecannon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok first off. What's up fellow geeks. I never thought to google geek forum... lol Any way I have been trying to upgrade my pc
I got it it was beat... they did something to it and it didnt start so i got it for dirt cheap.. A ram stick was hangin loose.. ???

Anyway
It had 2 256mb pc2-4300 533mhz ram and i bought the 2gb patriot pc2-5300 667mhz ram stick. i have 4 slots.. should i leave the 2 256s out?

also it had a ati radeon x300 SE Hyper Memory 128mb video card I bought a evga 8500gt 512mb with dx10 pci-e and i noticed it lags when turn the graphics down. especially gears of war.. but at maxed out it runs better(lags a small bit) any think this is normal?

and finally it has a lga775 socket for the processor I was wondering If it was possible to upgrade the processor?
I asked dell and they wanted to charge me $420 for the dell/intel p4 HT 3.4 when igot the p4 ht 3.2 not worth $420 for 200 mhz ya think?

**EDIT -- Also i just read about possibly being able to overclock my processor and ram could this effect my decision?

Edited by facethecannon, 26 January 2008 - 11:39 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Memory: Makes no odds, leave it in if you want but take it out if problems surface.

Graphics: More a game issue than anything else I would have thought.

Processor: Probably is upgradable but if this is a Dell machine overclockability will be non-existent.

facethecannon

facethecannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thnx alot for the info.. I decided overclocking my video card is enough to accomplish my frame rate desires ALSO i noticed my pc only supports 533 mhz so i stuck the two 533s in

Edited by facethecannon, 27 January 2008 - 05:10 AM.