Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not starting properly

• Please log in to reply

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello,

I had a virus which has been removed but now I have a problem with starting my computer.
It is windows XP.
When we press the button to start a few different things can append:
- Can be quick and start normally,
- Can stop on windows xp page with the reading blue bar for about 45 minutes, (happens almost all the time),
- Can start reading the windows xp page and then came back to beginning on its one or goes all black.

Can I have same advice please?
Thanks,
Nat

Advertisements

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello, It's possible some of your system files got corrupted, try doing this: If you can boot to windows go here: Start Menu >Run> in the run dialog box type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks) Make sure you have your windows XP cd in the drive. What sfc scannow will do is scan your computer for missing system files and reinstall them, which may take awhile. So please be patient.. :) If this does not work I would suggest posting your HiJackThis Log in the HiJackThis Log section...

Thanks for your time,
-AgentMES

Edited by AgentMES, 27 January 2008 - 10:54 AM.

natcguerreiro

natcguerreiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello,

I have done as told and it is the same. I also have another problem with my live messenger or webcam, i am not sure.
When I am on messenger and want to make a video call I can't see any image from my camera and when it finishes and i want to close the window, messegenger just stopes running, not responding, have to reboot the computer because of that, and then takes about 45 minutes to reboot it.
I am not sure if the problem is the messenger which i have uninstaled and installed again or the camera, but it has been working fine until about a week ago.

The last Hijackthis log i have posted was yesterday and have been told that the computer ws cleaned.

Thanks for the advice,
Nat

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers for the camera...the bad driver could also be your slow boot problem