Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound driver for Windows 95?

• Please log in to reply

scrappinupnorth

scrappinupnorth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have several old computers for my kids. I can't get sound on Windows 95. Do I need to install some kind of sound driver?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes you do.

There are a number of sound chipsets for Win 95, Realtek, Via, Cirrus Logic, and others. If you have a Packard -bell computer, they have their own special sound/modem combo drivers. No other drivers will work on the P-B's. Go download a hardware ID program like Everest free home edition, Aida32, or HWinfo32 to see if they can identify your sound chipset. Looking on the motherboard, at the chipsets, you may find who made the chipset. The only other choice here is to find a used good sound card and install it.

http://www.pricewatc...tive_labs-1.htm

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Back in the days of Windows 95 (when it were all fields 'round here...) the vast majority of people had Soundblaster cards or SoundBlaster compatible cards because you needed a driver for Windows and a different one for DOS. But having said that, back then computers didn't always have sound cards - they were optional extras. In those days just having a graphics card that was capable of working in 16-bit colour was luxury!

Of course if you bought the computer with Windows 95 originally on it, its most certainly going to have a sound card, as one of the launch angles for Windows 95 was increased emphasis on the Multimedia side of things, even sticking music videos on the CD-ROM. If the computer was upgraded to Win95 from Windows 3.1, it may not have a sound card in it. So before you go hunting for a sound card driver, verify that you do actually have a sound card, strange as it may seem these days to have a computer with no sound as standard.