Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating my Ram

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I need some help. :tazz: On my laptop I want to somehow upgrade my laptop from 256 MB of RAM to 512. I have a few questions though. Basically, I kind of need a step-by-step on how to upgrade my from from 256 to 512. Here are the questions:

1. How much will this cost?
2. How do I install it into my laptop?
3. Will it automatically detect it or will I have to set it up somehow.

Thank you!

Advertisements

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright, I still need help with the last post, but I just want to make sure of something. Updating my RAM from 256 to 512 will make if operate faster, correct? I just want to make sure that that's what it does. It's probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure I know what I'm buying. So will updating to 512 make my lappy go faster? Please answer this along with the other questions I've asked in the post before this one.

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
what kind of laptop do you have? I can tell you how much memory is if you tell me what kind of laptop. The prices can be a wCLICK HEREide range. Here is a little step by step on installing the memory actually though.

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I kind of messed that post up but Im sure you get the idea. ha.

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes it will speed it up.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks for replying. The laptop is a Dell INSPIRON 5000. Great link but I have a question about it. At the end it says "Once the memory has been installed into the computer, the physical process is complete. When the computer is powered back up, it may be necessary to go into the computer BIOS to let the system properly detect the new RAM that has been installed in the computer. Please refer to the user manual for the computer system for any additional information." Now, will the RAM install itself right when I turn my lappy back on or am I gonna have to do some work?

Thanks!

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
this is the kind of memory you need PC100 CL2 modules with 16 chips. what kind of processor you have in that thing? You should be able to turn it on and it will automaticlly pick it up.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Intel Pentium III. Would it be good/is there a way to upgrade to Pentium IV? How would that effect my lappy?

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Sorry if you need more info. It is a:

Intel Pentium III processor
597 MHz, 256 MB of RAM

Please respond!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot upgrade your laptop from a p3 to p4, and even if you could, the cooling system would be iinadequate

To amplify what Mark said, adding more ram will NOT make your PC run faster; it will make it run more efficientyly, which is in some ways the same thing, but in some ways not.

It will reduce the amount of times your computer needs to search the harddrive or move files there, but the speed is set not just by memory, but other things as well.

Would I update a laptop from 256mb to 512mb....you betcha. Wouldn't touch a PC with XP unless it has 512mb...well, OK, I guess I would. In fact, I have two that run on 256, but they run better on 512mb

Will it mean you can run games that you cannot currently run? No.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Alright so I'm not gonna upgrade from p3 to p4 (it was just a thought). But now that you have my processor, what do I need to buy?

What specifically is the 512 RAM thing called that I need to buy and how much will it cost?

Thanks.