Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean intall WinXP SP1 stalls at 34 minutes

• Please log in to reply

shadow88318

shadow88318

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Trying to clean install Win XP SP1 on a HP Pavilion a305w. I purchased new recovery disks from HP and it stalled at 34 minutes remaining, tried SP install disk and same thing. I have tried 3 hard drives. I have removed extra memory, modem, network card, and diconnected all other drives. I also replaced the CPU with a slightly faster one.

The machine will run a old hard drive with Win98 and another with WinME.

Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Had a similar problem last week. I removed the (Master/Slave/CS) jumper from the hard drive and everything worked fine after that. Give it a try. Weird but some mother boards require this for single IDE drives.

shadow88318

shadow88318

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Removing the jumper did not change anything. Still stuck on 34 minutes.

Storman

Storman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Are you sure it is actually stalled. I sometimes find that last bit takes an age but it does get there eventually.

I had the same problems once. Finally decided to leave it to get on with it I and went and did some shopping. When I got back it had completed :)

shadow88318

shadow88318

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I have let it sit over 24 hours and it will not move any further. Gonna try a different cdrom in a few minutes.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the new CD-ROM doesn't fix it, other possibilities are the hard drive and memory.

For memory, if you have two sticks, remove one and try the install. If it fails, swap memory sticks.

For the hard drive, download the diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturers web site and run it, see what it says about the drive.