Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer Hard Drive to act as slave in another PC

• Please log in to reply

Jellycat

Jellycat

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I suspect a motherboard failure in a desktop running XP and wish to fit the Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 hard drive from this desktop to another similar XP desktop.

Assuming I jumper for a slave set up on the old hard drive and the BIOS in the good desktop recognises it, will windows XP recognise this slave drive and allow me to see the old files and folders.

Also, will I be able to boot up straight from the slave drive assuming I adjust the bios settings?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Patrick

Advertisements

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, yes, and yes.

Only problems I can see would be :

• Viewing the personal files for the accounts on the OS in which you are not using. (If you load the OS on the Master you wont be able to view the 'my documents' folders of any passworded accounts on the other HD).
  • Both Hard-drives will perform at the same speed as the slowest one.

Jellycat

Jellycat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok many tks for that

I'll have a go at this tomorrow and see what the results are

cheers for now

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can view and move files in accounts by taking ownership of those files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

http://www.le.ac.uk/...ocs/acls2.shtml

SRX660

Jellycat

Jellycat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks guys

Hard drives went in well and recognised first time with the old drive coming up as the "D" drive etc and all recognised by Windows.

My first action is to suss out how to transfer fles and settings from the D drive to the main C drive. Tried this but nothing seems to have come over using a variation on the Files and settings transfer wizard.

Any ideas as to how I can achieve this bearing in mind the old drive had a passworded user account etc?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have done this many times by setting up as explained on the second website. I save pictures and data from customer hard drives by using the method explained( taking ownership of the files).

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
One thing though you would NOT be able to boot straight off the slave drive unless the new computer is EXACTLY identical to the old one.... That is a "feature" of xp. it creates a unique id based on the hardware in the computer on installation and unless they are very close or virtually identical the chances of just booting is virtually nil...