Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet connection in XP; internet working in Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I dual boot xp and vista 32bit. I upgraded my mobo and changed from an e6600 to a q6600. After repairing both installations of each OS, Vista is up and running. However, XP boots but shows no internet connection in the tray. I can't even set up an internet connection in the control panel.
Also, IE wouldn't start. Dialogue box stated "iertutil.dll was missing. Re-installing application may fix this problem." I ran another repair install on XP, but same deal.
Do I need to configure my Vista connection to share?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You have installed your network/ethernet driver I take it?
How do you connect to the Internet - USB modem or router? Broadband connection?

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
1. network/ethernet driver install- I don't know. Only installed whatever the OS installs for drivers. I presume yes because internet connection works in Vista. How would I check that in XP

2. Broadband always on

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to install the network driver for XP. Apparently Vista has it and XP doesn't. If it's integrated on the mother board then you should be able to download it from the MB manufacturers web site. Ditto if it's a add-on PCI card. While you're there, you should see what other drivers area available just in case.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Network Connection Details Vista properties lists:

Description-NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

I presume I need a XP driver for that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, you need the Gigabyte driver for the mother board, see here:

http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=2749

You may also want to download the other drivers available there in case you need them, especially the Chipset.

BTW: That is quite a nice board!

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OOPS... I need to update my sig. I just changed the board- it's an ASUS P5n32-e sli 680i (but yeah, it was a nice board- I decided I'd try SLI...too new for me to know if I'll want to go back to the Gigabyte.)

XP Device Manager shows the Network adapter to be: 1394 Network Adapter
It also shows these devices needing drivers:
PCI Device
Other PCI Bridge
Other PCI Bridge
Unknown VGA driver (I figure that's the XP driver for the new 8800 GT)
USB Device (I think that's my iMon Ultrabay display)
USB Device
PCI Device

The Motherboard comes with a sound card that goes in the PCI 2.2 slot by the first PCI-e 16x slot; I presume that may account for some of the PCI Bridge/PCI Device issues, but would one card account for 4 instances?

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I installed the VGA driver in XP which took care of that mystery device. However, I still don't have much clue about the others. Here's what I could find out:

Other PCI Bridge Device is on Bus 0 Device 17
Other PCI Bridge Device is Bus 0 Device 18
PCI Device is Device 15, function 1
SM Bus Controller is Bus 0, Device 10, function 1
Unknown is on PCI Bus
USB Device is Location 0 USB Device

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Jim, forget what XP says about the devices. You need to download the drivers from the ASUSTeK web site. For instance, the LAN driver listed there (if I have the right board) is nVidia LAN RIS driver for Windows 2000/XP/2003 & 64bit XP/2003.

This is the page I got to: P5N32-E SLI

Hmmm, the link doesn't take me where I was. You will have to fill in the boxes to get to the right board, but all the drivers, including Chipset, Lan and Audio are there.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
wow! you got through at the ASUS site?!! I keep getting blank pages when I click through to my motherboard/downloads section.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
finally got through on the download. I will post the results.