Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
im not sure if its my wrt54g or my network card having problems dropping connection or seeing the SSID broadcasted so im thinking of just buying a new beefed up network card, or a new beefed up router.

any help finding one would be a lot of help, i would prefer a new net card since its cheaper ^_^ my current laptop comes with a network card but it sucks bad :) its a Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (bad)

thx in advance.

edit: also ive heard the custom firmware can help, wat are the dangers of custom fws?

Edited by Gabriel1, 28 January 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
The biggest danger of custom firmware is the possibility of "bricking" your router, which means that you could render it useless.

I personally have had great success with DD-WRT, but if you decide to do this, make sure that you read ALL of the documentation regarding the process or you will be out of a router.

As far as your problem goes, you may just have some interference from cordless phones, do you have a cordless near your router, specifically a 2.4Ghz phone?

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
only thing near it is the modem its connected to and a 5.6ghz cordless phone and my plasma screen tv

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Then you shouldn't have any interference.

Only other thing I can offer is to update the firmware of the router with the official updates. If that doesn't work, then you could maybe look at the customized firmwares.