Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys wireless-g Broadband Router WRT54G connection loss

• Please log in to reply

Ricy

Ricy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Linksys wireless-g Broadband Router WRT54G and I have it connected to two computers with a cable, but I loose connection after a while on the internet. What do I do?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go.

I had the same issue with my WRT54G a while back. It was solved by a firmware update. Here is the page to download the firmware: http://www.linksys.c...aypage=download.

It is very important that you follow the steps at the Linksys website gives correctly. Failure to do so can result in your router becoming a new paper weight.

Edited by Titan8990, 29 January 2008 - 04:59 AM.

Ricy

Ricy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I still am getting kicked off.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Explain in a bit more detail exactly what is happening and how you are getting your connection back.

Ricy

Ricy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just get kicked off and I am able to get back on right after I get kicked off. I think it might be my computer.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is identical to the problem I had in which an upgraded firmware fixed. I do not know of any other solutions but hopefully someone else who does will drop in and help you out.

Ricy

Ricy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It worked perfectly fine on a different computer that I don't have anymore, but this one doesn't.

caljohn

caljohn

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ricy,

Check out the linksys forums, especially this thread:
http://forums.linksy...e...ding&page=1

I too use a linksys WRT54G and had connectivity problems until I simply changed the MTU (maximum transmission unit for a TCP/IP packet) from auto to a set value of 1492. It's a rather esoteric solution, but changing the MTU has helped many people with this router (including myself) as you will see from the above thread. Seems it's a bug in their firmware that even the latest firmware revisions still have.

Don't know if you're having the same problem, but going from auto to a fixed value of MTU does not hurt a thing, and it might only help at this point.