Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Today's the order day.....

• Please log in to reply

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi guys. I visited a while back for some build advice and i think i have finally narrowed down the list of components. Here it is:

Case

Processor

Motherboard

Graphics Card X2

Memory

Power Supply

Hard Drive

Optical Drive

CPU Cooler

Fan

Operating System

Thermal Compound

Sound Card

LCD Monitor

Already have: Keyboard, Mouse

So i know that Price/performance wise the SLI setup isnt really cost effective, but i kind alike it and dont mind that im paying a little more than i need to.

Anyways im prepared to place the order this evening or tomorrow and i have some final questions for you.

1) Are all of these componants compatable? Will everything play nice with each other?

2) The sound card is a cheapy one, but will it achieve better sound than the onboard audio?

3) Do i need a network card, or do most Mobos come with built in ethernet connections?

4) Should i buy one of those static wrist bands or just be careful to ground myself to the case when im about to handle a part?

5) A couple of these parts are OEM, i tried to keep it mostly retail since its my first build but a couple OEms i couldnt resist, am i going to be missing any cables/accessories that i will need? What should i order?

Ok as you can tell this is my first build and its years in the making, just to recap my budget was around 2000, this comes to around 2300 (which is about as high as i would go). What kind of performance would i get from this system? I am into Gaming, and digital content. And i have read countless guides on assembling the PC, but never anything SLI specific, is there a special procedure when installing two GPUs? Or do you just put the second one in same as the first?

Ok long post, thanks for even reading it. Appreciate all your help guys.

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I had a look through all those parts and they all seem to be compatable. As for the sound card, motherboards onboard is usually very good and that one featuers 8-channel audio. I'd say it's going to be better than the cheapo sound card. Usually the only reason for getting a sound card is if your mobo doesn't have the capabilities, or you're going to be spending a few hundred dollars on one absolutely sweet card.

That motherboard features dual gigabit LAN, you definately won't be needing a network card :)

This setup is about as good as you can get right now without spending like $10000 (dual 30" montiors and junk :))

As for setting up SLI, i'm not experienced, but I believe you need a special cable that connections the two video cards (via the top of them. you'll see the slot) and that all SLI capable motherboards should come with one of these cables. the 780i chipset is actually capable of tri-SLI, but I think it's only possible with 3 8800 ULTRA's right now.

Oh, and by the way, i've just ordered a GT version of that video card :)

Edited by Seltox, 29 January 2008 - 08:10 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If I were you I'd wait for nVidia's dual GPU solution or wait to see if ATI's HD3870X2 improves with catylast 8.2.
As for the sound card, do you plan on getting a 5.1 setup of speakers?

Now to answer your questions.
1. Yes
2. You won't notice the difference.
3. The build in will be O.K. If you want the lowest pings possible I suggest a discret network card, you can get a really good one for ~$30.
4. I always do for piece of mind, I won't fuss over spending $10 on a band if it could potentially save me $500 in hardware.
5. The only thing you'll be missing will be SATA cables, but considering you motherboard comes with 6 SATA cables, you'll be fine.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just another note, if you're going to use the Tuniq Tower and Arctic Silver thermal paste, you can grab the OEM version processor and save $22.

Troy

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wow thanks for the responses guys.

Troy that's a helpful tip.

James could you recommend a discreet network card that would be good? And a wrist band that you recommend?

And in response to the speakers question.......eventually i would like to get a really good set, but at that time i will probably upgrade to a kick butt sound card, so i guess theres no sense in buying one now.

and i appreciate the advice about waiting but it seems as though i am always waiting for this or that, and i am surprised that nothing has come up yet to drain me of the money ive saved up for the build, so i just assume order what i can get now. Just so long as the performance of this system will be good. I know i cant run crysis on max settings, but i should be able to play it on a very acceptable setting with decent FPS (i use crysis as a benchmark but honeslty i dont play it, i play mostly warcraft, cod4, and hopefully the upcoming conan MMO)

Thanks guys

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is the NIC card, it has comparable performance to that $200 Bigfoot killer card.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833106121

This wrist strap should do the trick.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899888207

To be honest, I wouldn't even both with a sound card if I were you. Also, one 8800GTS card will be plenty for what games you play, I recommend you don't run these cards in SLI.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 January 2008 - 06:13 PM.

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
You have me second guessing myself now.

Why do you think i shouldnt go with the SLI with these cards?

Which system would achieve better performance, this one as is or this one minus one of the video cards?

If i chose to go with one video card then would i have to choose a different Mobo that caters better to a single GPU?

If i chose to go with one GPU then is there a better single one i should go with?

I knwo that the games i play now are not that demanding, but i could wake up tomorrow and decide to get into a game like crysis.

I know im a pain in the butt but i just respect your opinions.

Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Why do you think i shouldnt go with the SLI with these cards?

COD4 runs easily on my HD2900XT, you shouldn't have a problem with a single card. Basically I'm saying get SLI maybe 6 months down the road when the card is cheaper and when you will really need it. Price will have droped then and you will not have wasted any money.

Which system would achieve better performance, this one as is or this one minus one of the video cards?

More is always better, but the above still applies.

If i chose to go with one video card then would i have to choose a different Mobo that caters better to a single GPU?

Nope, that motherboard will cater just as well to a single GPU as it would to a dual GPU.

If i chose to go with one GPU then is there a better single one i should go with?

Yes there is, it's called the HD3870X2, but I'd wait till the 14th as it seems nVidia is going to release their competitor to this card. If you decided to get the HD3870X2, then I'd suggest you change to the X38 chipset.

I knwo that the games i play now are not that demanding, but i could wake up tomorrow and decide to get into a game like crysis.

This is true, which is why it's ultimately your call. I'm just trying to help you save money any way you can :)

I know im a pain in the butt but i just respect your opinions.

Not at all, keep the questions coming :)
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Yes there is, it's called the HD3870X2, but I'd wait till the 14th as it seems nVidia is going to release their competitor to this card. If you decided to get the HD3870X2, then I'd suggest you change to the X38 chipset.

It looks like the 9800GX2 will be pushed back to sometime in March. However, in your case it would not make sense to wait for it, as it should be more expensive and have worse performance than two 8800GTS 512MB in SLI. I'm getting more disappointed with this card all the time as new information comes out. It's looking to be just two UNDERclocked 8800GTS 512mb cards mushed together, so I don't see how it will perform better than two 8800GTS 512MB cards in SLI. I would go with your original choices, or if you are the patient type, I would get one 8800GTS 512MB and save up for two 9800GTXs which will be released in August (subject to change, of course). On paper, the 9800GTX looks to be roughly 2-3 times faster than a 8800Ultra, which is the most powerful single GPU currently available.

Posted Image