Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

garbled email

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sometimes when I get or receive a forwarded email, the actual message is all mixed up in between a group of symbols and other garbled letters, numbers, etc. What causes that and is there anything to do about it? Someone else asked me this and she thinks it has something to do with the internet provider - i.e. Verizon - I told her I didn't think that was the problem.

Can you provide any insight?

Thank You!!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
May be the MIME settings:

MIME
Multipart Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)
<email></email>
Handling of PGP/MIME signed messages

It may just an incorrect setting in your mail client.

Ron

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I looked at all the sites you sent, but I don't understand them exactly. How can this setting be fixed so the emails can be read?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you post a screenshot of one of the garbled ones...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Nearest I can figure out is that images are being sent as text (base64?) with the normal text of email. may need to change the MIME type.

Ron

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This occasionally happens when people send emails from phones and other portable devices that go throughout different servers although that does not seem likely - of course it may be of interest.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I've sent hundreds of images via cell phone email and never had that problem. Some of the problems probably depends on how the email client is set up as my sister was getting them like this from other sister until I went over and straightened it out. Also, a friend of mine was constantly sending me emails with images and they were all "text" (base64 encoded/ascii) until I mentioned what he might have to do. No problems since.

Ron

camboki

camboki

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ron,
You say you straightened your friend out...how did you do that?

I also receive images as text from one particular sender. This happens to her emails not everytime but about 90% of the time. (Making it even more confusing) She is using Outlook Express to send and I am using Outlook to receive.

Please advise.