Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb unknown device

• Please log in to reply

methalorange

methalorange

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so this seems to be a little different than most unknown device problems
all of my devices work fine

i keep getting pop ups in the task bar telling me new hardware has been found
then it pops up unknown USB device not recognized
sure enough when i go into my device manager there is an unknown device attached to the usb controller
now it seems to come and go and if i watch the device manager for a couple minutes you can see it connecting then disappearing 4, 5, 6 times in a row

it first started doing this when i had a couple usb devices plugged in (external hd, mouse, printer)
since then i have gone as far as doing a fresh XP install and not connecting any usb devices at all
but sure enough after a short while new hardware pop up and followed by unknown usb device not recognized
i check device manager and there it is
it also seems to be sitting in the registry at vid_0000&pid_0000
i can delete the registry and i can uninstall the device but it just keeps coming back

now none of this seems to be causing a problem
and all of my devices work when plugged in
but its an annoyance to have the new hardware and unknown device balloon tip pop up
i know i could disable those but clearly there is something wrong and id like to get to the bottom of it rather than just hide it

the very first time that it happened was right after i unplugged a storage device from the front of my case (rather violently)
at first i thought maybe i damaged the pins when i pulled it out
but the device was plugged into the front of my case and i disconnected those usb headers from the motherboard and still got the unknow device problems

mobo = xfx 680i lt sli
os = xp pro sp2

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This is going to sound strange but its possible software can generate this, one of the best ways to tell is if it is software is to boot into safe mode, If the unknown device is no longer listed in Device Manager, it is likely that the unknown device is not hardware.

I don't know alot about this but I refer you Here, scroll down to Troubleshooting for advanced users

Deojuvente

Deojuvente

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i am haveing the same problem whit my PC after i unplugged a storage device and i am using Windows Vista.
i reinstalled it to and its not helping at all :)
i am geting nuts for the popup 100000000 time a dag :)

i am using a Abit IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi

if u have found the problem can u plz mail me: [email protected]
thnx Edwin

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
If uninstalling the USB root hub devices in Device Manager and reinstalling them doesn't fix the problem, it may be a bad USB controller chip. I had a Dell Latitude that exhibited this exact problem after my attached Axim v50 PDA drew too much amperage through the port and fried it. The fix required a motherboard replacement. Generally, USB controllers should be equipped with current limiting circuitry, but to save costs during manufacturing, they sometimes aren't. If you plug too many devices into a port that isn't protected, the overdraw can fry the controller circuit.

Deojuvente

Deojuvente

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Cry oke TY i am going to try thet.