Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting rid of previous IP's files

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I switched to DSL months ago, and thought I had deleted my old dial-up connection software files from the previous provider, but Internet Explorer still says "provided by" my former ISP on the title bar. This is weird. Not that it's causing any problems, but I can't seem to figure out where this comes from and how to get rid of it. And where in XP would those IP files be hiding if they didn't get deleted like I thought they did?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mornin mintchip, welcome to G2G.

Try this and see what happens.

Click on Start then Internet Explorer. Do you still see the same "Provided by ..." junk? If not, right click on the icon you normally click on and select Properties. Post the data from the Start In box here please.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Morning to you too, "Grampa". :) Thank you for the welcome, or rather, the welcome back. I pop in here every once in a while. I should do it more ofter. The spirits are always good here.

Here is what you asked for:
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

The explorer starts in my blank home page, like it's supposed to, but the title bar still says the name of my former provider. Any ideas?

Edit: Oops I forgot to answer - no, I don't see any of that "provided by" junk in the start menu, if that's what you mean.

Edited by mintchip, 30 January 2008 - 11:30 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rats, I meant the Target box, not the Start In box, sorry. Should look something like this.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Using Registry Editor, delete the following value in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Window Title.....this will cause ie to revert to default title

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rats! Had that in my database and did not see it. Thanks krmooo.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Rats, I meant the Target box, not the Start In box, sorry.

:) :) No need to apologize. I actually think it's rather amusing. Every little step, even a wrong one, helps me learn something. :)

Anyway, SUCCESS! I found the bugger right where krmooo said. And even worse, I noticed it was also on the title bar of Outlook Express. I managed to find that one in the registry as well. I modified the text instead of deleting them by just removing the "provided by ...." part. All is good now. Thanks to both of you for your help.

P.S. It annoys me that these totally unnecessary modifcations happen without our consent. This must be the IPs way of sticking their name on computers forever...at least until someone goes into the registry. Ugh!