Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i upgrade my processor?

• Please log in to reply

facethecannon

facethecannon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have this dell dimension 5150 it has Pentium 4 ht 3.2ghz
would a dual core be significantly faster? The ppl at dell said i could only buy a pentium 4 ht 3.4ghz from them for $420
anything else will fry my motherboard and eveything else in it
is this just a marketing scheme or is it true

Edited by facethecannon, 30 January 2008 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thats most likely true although I did not look at the specs for your dell it sounds about right.

Its not worth upgrading to a 3.4 but you could find one for alot less than $420 thats dell marketing for ya

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For a little more than $420 you could build a system with a better CPU than an 3.4Ghz Pentium 4....

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I have this dell dimension 5150 it has Pentium 4 ht 3.2ghz
would a dual core be significantly faster? The ppl at dell said i could only buy a pentium 4 ht 3.4ghz from them for $420
anything else will fry my motherboard and eveything else in it
is this just a marketing scheme or is it true

Please DON'T listen to them, NEVER ask dell for upgrading instructions. The person on the other line of the phone knows less about computer then you do, he's just a robot (he's really a person, but knows nothing) following a computers instructions. In most cases it's a grid on a computer and they follow the grid based on the yes/no instructions from you.
You won't notice a difference between 3.4 and 3.3GHz on a P4, the chip alone is worthless now. That chip should be sold for no more then $20 if that.
James

Edited by james_8970, 31 January 2008 - 11:44 AM.