Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IE7 freezing up when typing in URL

• Please log in to reply

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

When I type in any URL in the address box (sorry I dont know the right term for it) at the top of my browser, it freezes up and I have to close that page down and open a new one. The only way I can get to any websites is to type the URL into my Yahoo or Google search box in my browser. Just started happening about a month ago. I am using Gateway Laptop Win XP. Thanks for any advice!

Jenn

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try deleting cache and cookies

In Internet Explorer page, at the top Click Tools > Internet Options > then click delete cookies after that , then click the delete files button,
delete files window will appear. Select the option to delete all offline content, and then click OK.
Click Settings, reduce the size of the cache to 50 - 100 MB

Try to disable some add ons
In Internet Explorer page click Tools > Manage Add ons > and disable all the addons (just for troubleshooting)
if you're able to fix the problem by disabling all the addons, try to enable them one by one (one at a time) again and see what particular addon is causing the problem.

You can also try resetting the defaults in your internet options settings.
Click tools again in IE page>go to advanced tab > press restore defaults on bottom right hand side of window