Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of Sound

• Please log in to reply

Anne12345

Anne12345

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I have been trying to fight this "Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger" thing, and in the midst of deleting things I think I accidentally deleted my sound. In the corner, with the time and stuff, there is no volume icon, and when I go to open iTunes or anything it says "iTunes has detected a problem with your Audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly."
Similarly, I basically have no sound anywhere.

What can I do to get it back??

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Anne. Welcome to Geeks2Go!

It may be your sound driver-files have somehow become corrupted or 'disappeared' from the system (which does happen quite often with some makes of sound devices & their drivers. If that's the case, they will need to be re-installed. If you don't know where to find the sound driver files you can usually get them from the PC maker's website or the motherboard maker's website, but first we need to know what's inside your PC and/or what make it is.

Please download 'Belarc Advisor' from here: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Double-click the file to run it (no need to install) and it will produce an inventory of your system in your web-browser.
Please post that inventory to us (copy/paste into the forum's posting box) so we can help you further.

Edited by pip22, 31 January 2008 - 01:53 PM.

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Dad (in WORKGROUP)
Profile Date: Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:40:32 PM
Advisor Version: 7.2v
Windows Logon: Anne

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small companies.

Attached File  Belarc_Report.txt   22.8KB   227 downloads

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
help..??

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
anyone??????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Anne12345...

My apologies...I thought you were being helped.

Download these Drivers from Dell, install them, and reboot.

Do you have sound after doing this?

wannabe1

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Actually I get a message that says
"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running the Setup program"

?? what does that mean??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you added a new sound card to your system...or is it the way it shipped from Dell?

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Do any of the listed devices have a yellow ! or ? displayed next to them?

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, actually, the only things with a yellow " ! " are WAN Miniport (ATW) #2
and PCI Device.

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
and, No, I've had this computer a while- I accidentally, somehow, deleted my sound. It's as if its totally gone, that little icon on the right corner is gone and everything.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you expand Sound, Video and game controllers, does your sound card show up there? If not then the PCI with the yellow mark may actually be your sound card.

Right click on ? PCI and select Properties. In the Device Properties window, click on the Details tab.
Post the information in the large box below the drop down box. It will look something like:

ACPI\PNPB02F\4&268D 196D&0 (An unknown device on my system actually)

A Google search on PNPB02F gives me lots of information to work with and it may do the same for the PCI device in your computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's get some chipset drivers on there and then we'll check some settings.

Download these Dell Drivers and install them. Reboot and check Device Manager to see if the yellow icons are gone.

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
To ztruker: i'm not sure what you mean.
In the box it says something really long that I can't copy- but it looks like
" PCI\VEN8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_01D21028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&D8 "

and to wannabe1:
The yellow " ! "'s are still there.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
VEN8086 is the AC 97, but that doesn't match with what the Dell Users manual says your computer should have, which is the

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Try installing that one, see if it fixes it.

Anne12345

Anne12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
oh my gosh this is so frustrating! OK I had sound after I downloaded that stuff yesterday, but then when I restarted I got this awful blue screen every time I restarted. so my Dad called Dell and semi-fixed it, so now the computer is actually ON. And, my speakers are plugged in and on, and in the corner I have that little sound icon now.

But I don't hear anything when I just tried to play music...