Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI issue

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I just purchased a Westinghouse 19" LCD flat panel monitor. It has both a DVI-D and a VGA input.

I purchased the following cable for it:

http://www.dynexprod...face-cable.aspx

I am, however, unable to get a signal. I am using an eVGA 7600GT superclocked video card with a VGA and a DVI-I port.

I have already tried the following:

1. Hooked up the cable properly; shut down the PC, hooked up the cable, turned on monitor, turned on PC - no signal detected. Reboot - no signal detected.
2. Hooked up VGA cable and tried to switch to digital signal then shut down monitor. However, before I could get that far, the monitor automatically switched back to the analog signal.
3. Hooked up both the VGA and DVI cables and attempted to switch over to digital signal after starting Windows in analog. This caused my system to freeze. I ended up having to clear CMOS, then reinstall video driver to stop Windows from freeezing after booting to the desktop.

I am currently using the most up to date non-beta ForceWare driver. It has been suggested by another that I revert to a driver from about a year ago but if I have to use that old of a driver to get DVI to work, it doesn't seem worth it.

Any further ideas on what could be the cause of/ solution for this problem?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Does your monitor have an input button?

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
No input button, but in the monitor's menu there is an option to switch from analog to digital. However, as I said in my original post, when I switch over to digital, the screen goes blank for a second or two then automatically switches back to analog.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried hot-swapping i.e. unplugging VGA and plugging in DVI without powering the monitor off?