Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access the internet

• Please log in to reply

acotyledon

acotyledon

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I recently had a malware problem that was resolved in the malware posting. But I am still unable to access the internet. I use cable modem and wireless router. I am able to access internet on second PC via wireless but am unable to access with the PC that is directly connected to the modem. Cable company tested connection and said everything was fine from that end. They told me to try and do a repair on my local area connection and when I did I recieved the message "Windows could not finish repairng the problem because the following action cannot be completed. Failed to query TCP?IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed. When I double click on my Local Area Connection Status under General the Status is connection. When I click on Support iIt does not show an IP address. I uninstalled and reinstalled and then uninstalled IE7 because it seemed like the problems started after I upgraded to IE7. Right now I am not sure if it was the virus or something that I did that caused the problem. I would appreciate any guidance given.

After doing some more research I again attempted to troubleshoot configuration and the first step was to identify the current configuration using ipconfig and got the following message. Windows IP Configuartion
An internal error occurred: The request isn not supported.
Please contact Microsoft Product support services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Edited by acotyledon, 31 January 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Advertisements

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Okay,

Have you tried resetting your router? You mentioned that the Internet works successfully on a different PC prior to yours. If your Internet Connection Wizard is telling you there is no IP Adress within the table, try to reset your router and see if it will re-configure the settings automatically.

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was walked through the steps of re-setting my router and it did not solve the problem. The Internet works successfully on a different PC via a wireless connection. Which is what I am using now.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi acotyledon. So, are you saying that your connection shows that it's connected, but you can't connect with your browser? In other words, when you attempt to access a website, do you just get the "page cannot be displayed", or "address not found", even though your connection is active, or is there something more than that going on?

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Mintchip, That was the case before I got the virus cleaned up. I installed Mozilla Firefox as suggested and I get the message "server not found". I really think there is something much more going on but I do not have enough know how to figure it out.

Edited by acotyledon, 31 January 2008 - 05:55 PM.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Does rebooting ever resolve it, at least temporarily, or does it stay like this constantly?

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Constant.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, it's not what I thought it might be then. Sorry I can't help you. Hopefully an expert on those types of connections will be able to solve it for you. Good luck.

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I really appreciate your trying though. thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you get an error message like "failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" whenever you boot or try to repair your network connection, see if this resolves it for you. You must have an XP Install CD or have the I386 directory tree on your hard drive and the registry entries change to point to C:\I386 (info at end).

Do a file search for tcpip.sys and rename every instance to "tcpip.sys_old" - essentially disabling it.

A Windows XP message will come up immediately saying it needs to repair itself, but wait. Instead, proceeded to rename all instances of tcpip.sys found and then follow the instructions in the window. Insert your Windows XP disk and let it reload any files it needs.

Reboot and see if the Internet is working again.

Originally posted by Artist3d here: http://www.geekstogo...39#entry1050339

If you don't find tcpip.sys, you need to show all files as follows, then try again:

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

Advertisements

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am not sure what you mean by " the registry entries change to point to C:\I386 (info at end)." I searched an renamed all of the files but did not recieve a message "A Windows XP message will come up immediately saying it needs to repair itself". When I put in my XP CD I get a message that I am running a newer version . I also have two icons for "Display" in my control panel not sure why.
"

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
based on your explanations. This is not a problem with the router, browser and in the network adapter.
Your TCP/IP is messed up. It's the protocol that will make you connected to the modem or router. If this is corrupted,
you will not be able to connect to any network using this protocol.

one of the most basic troubleshooting is doing system restore.
Click start>all programs>accessories>system tools> system restore
select restore my computer to an earlier time and click next , next is the calendar.
select a date prior to the date when the problem started happening. computer is gonna reboot.

IF system restore didnt work.
Set the speed of your network card to 10mbps half
-right click my computer, go to properties tab, go to device manager, look for network adapter click the plus sign next to it, under network there is
your network adapter (e.g broadcom network, intel etc.), right click it, click on properties, and then click advance tab, and then select speed and duplex on the left side and on the right side select 10mbps half on the drop down menu. and then proceed to resetting the TCP/IP or WINSOCK.

resetting the winsock:

Click Start, then click Run.
In the Run window, type command, then click OK.
In the Command window, type netsh int ip reset dellip.txt, then press Enter.
Type netsh winsock reset catalog, then press Enter.
Restart the computer. proceed to uinstalling and reinstalling the protocol

Uninstall and reinstall the protocol:

Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and click OK.
Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties.
Click the General tab and click Install.
Click Protocol and click Add.
The Select Network Protocol window appears.
Click Have Disk. The Install From Disk window appears.
Type C:\Windows\INF and click OK.
In the Manufacturer column choose Microsoft.
In the Network Protocol column click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click OK.
Click Close.

IF THIS STEP still doesnt work, your OS might be corrupted already. The quickest and the sure way of resolving this is to reinstall the windows operating system. That will be the last resort.

Edited by wytboy55, 01 February 2008 - 02:21 AM.

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I followed all of the steps and that did not work. When I attempt to reinstall the operating system from my XP cd I get a message that I am running a newer version that I need to boot from cd, but it will not let me boot from cd. Thanks.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
how did you try to boot from your cd? try to change the boot sequence of your bios.
change the boot sequence, make the cd drive your first boot priority.
save the bios settings
after saving it, in the next boot up you are gonna see a message saying "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD".
as soon as you see that message immediately press any key on the keyboard. You have to be really quick because this message last for i think 3-5 seconds. If you failed to press any key before the message disappears, you will have to reboot the computer and do that again until you get it.

acotyledon

acotyledon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Tried F2 and changed the boot sequence, made the cd drive my first boot priority and saved. tried it several times but I don't get the "Press any key to boot from Cd". Tried F12 - Boot from CD Rom" that did not work either.