Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of help/advice!

• Please log in to reply

rbranaman

rbranaman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am past my skill level and need some expert help/advice with the following situation:

My laptop (HP 8013cl), running updated XP, became infected with the Virtumonde malware. Following posted help in the forums, I did remove the malware. My startup was then extremely slow with odd behavior (will explain, if needed). I reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2008, thinking this might help resolve the problem, it didn't. Looking at more postings, I tried for a day to resolve this issue to no avail. In a move of frustration, tiredness, and stupidity, I used a startup manager to block both desktop ini's and USERINIT.EXE. I am now stuck in a log on, immediately log off cycle in both safe and normal mode.

I have searched the forums for a solution and could not find one - if there is one, please direct me there. I did search for wsaupdater.exe, not present. I created a Bart's PE disk, but I still cannot edit my registry. I should add that I disabled system restore in the malware fix and forgot to enable it after the fix, thus, as I understand it, system restore is not an option.

In truth, I don't really understand Bart's PE function, unless one needs to plug in an external registry editor. If so, which one? Technically, it is beyond my expertise.

Could someone offer me help with this problem? I follow instructions well, am computer literate and will ask questions if I don't understand.

I have a pressing work project to do with, of course, the necessary info only on my laptop. To reformat would be disastrous with so many work files not backed up.

Thank you for considering to help.
Rick

Edited by rbranaman, 31 January 2008 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi rbranaman, did you try starting using The Last Known Good feature of XP?

rbranaman

rbranaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you.
I believe so, but I will go back and try this...still the same log on(loading personal settings), then immediate log off(saving settings) cycle.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can follow this procedure to recover from a corrupted registry, which in effect is what you have.

Not simple but not to difficult.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545