Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Passport clicking while transfering data.

• Please log in to reply

mynameispants

mynameispants

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was copying (not cutting and pasting, but duplicating - this is important to my question) 30GB of music to my WD Passport 250GB hard drive. After a few minutes, it started clicking. When this started, it quit transferring (it hung on the particular file it was copying at the time). I had to pull the plug to stop it and free up my system (which froze when the hd started clicking). Removing the plug allowed me to use my computer again. Plugging in the drive again, I tried copying again, but with just one folder instead of all my music.

I copied the folder that had half-copied onto the drive when it hung, so there were some songs in the folder on the drive (but not all of them). I told it to copy over all the files in the folder that had copied before. Immediately, I ran into problems. It said something about not being able to read from source file or disk. So I tried deleting everything that had copied over when I first tried it. It wouldn't let me. It said: "Cannot delete [it gave the mp3 file name here]: Cannot read from source file or disk" (or something to that effect).

I know that this means that some of the files are corrupt and that I will probably have to format the drive. Several folders within my music folder copied onto the drive before it started acting up (12 GB worth). I think the problem may be with the usb bus power. I just ordered the booster cable so that the drive can get what it needs. Not sure if this will work though. Any suggestions or possible work-arounds (other than getting a new computer =) )?

Most importantly, I am worried about my original data (stored on an internal, secondary SATA drive in my machine). I know some of the copies on the Passport got all messed up, but is there any danger of corruption to the original music files? It had copied over about a third of the files before the problem started. My computer didn't completely crash, but it did hang until I yanked the USB cord on the drive.

The way the file copying protocol works, is damage to the originals not possible, possible but very, very unlikely, or very likely when something like this happens? Being that they are the original files, I'm more than a little worried. I'm running Windows XP Pro, with all updates - in case it has any bearing.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Doubtful any of the files on the internal drive got damaged, ok very, very unlikely, if the destination drive was clicking its more than likely bad