Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install perform a dual install?

• Please log in to reply

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I'm just asking - how do I perform an install for Vista over my XP? I've just bought Vista Ultimate - and I just wanna try it out, and if it sucks I'll just return it to the guys in the shop? XD

I've got 3 hard drives (2 externals), being a Hitachi unknown one in my computer (60GB, 26GB on XP partition and 32 on another partition, came partitioned-ready for me), a WD Scorpio (160GB), and a Samsung unnamed one (100GB). Currently, I've stored 47GBs of bought anime on the Scorpio, whilst I have my CD backups and installers on the Samsung (totalling to about 60GB).

Now, down to the point:

1.) Which HDD should I install in? The builtin one or the external?

2.) How do I install an OS? Can someone tell me how to do so in steps?

3.) Now, once I've known how to install an OS, can you please guide me on installing Vista over XP?

4.) Would my computer be able to support Vista?

Specs:
Intel Pentium M 740J, 1733MHz (13x133)
2 x Kingston DDR2-533 SDRAM (1GB)
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset (128MB)

If you need more - I'm happy to provide you with a whole Everest log.

~Kelvin

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
why don't you dual boot both xp and vista..that way if/when you decide you don't want vista anymore you won't have to reinstall xp and go thru the pain of tweaking everything again...go here...for the guide on doing this..

go here to see if your hardware will run vista...
I have read somewhere that installing Vista over XP will make it so you can not reinstall xp again...makes that copy of xp void...maybe someone else knows more on that

Edited by happyrck, 01 February 2008 - 08:20 AM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Thanks for the guide - exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, could you help me find out more about the Vista voiding XP thing? If it is so I won't install Vista anymore...

~Kelvin

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Also, should I get Ubuntu? If I would have to choose Ubuntu over Vista, how do I install it over XP?

~Kelvin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
dual boot xp and vista will not cause the voiding issue...there is a guide on triple boot here...but you can also just run unbuntu from the cd without even installing it..(livecd)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok then. I was asking this because I wanted to see Vista and Ubuntu myself - so I got them both.

Now, in my case I want to install Vista/Ubuntu over my currently installed XP, and I don't wanna lose my files on the computer. Is there a way to do that? (safely, please, this is a laptop - not a desktop, and I'm not really good at reformatting at all)

Also, is there a way to 'uninstall' Vista/Ubuntu from my XP if I don't want them afterwards?

~Kelvin

gregcone

gregcone

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Also, is there a way to 'uninstall' Vista/Ubuntu from my XP if I don't want them afterwards?

With Linux distros, you set up /home on a seperate partition, so if you get tired of Ubantu or want to resize partitions or run different Linux OS's at the same time, etc. That way, you don't need to go through the process of customization.

The reinstalling the XP on top of Vista is catastrophic. It's erase the C: format, install.

Maybe leave a vfat partition available for saving your C:\Documents and Settings?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Kelvin, you're playing with fire here!

If you don't have all your data backed up you are asking for trouble. Do that before you attempt any dual/tripple booting.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Haven't did so - in fact was waiting for someone to tell me how to keep my C: intact, and just shrink the D so that Ubuntu has more space. I heard there is some kinda software that can help me with this.

Anyway, I have an OEM version of XP. XD it sounds a bit dangerous but I ain't afraid of it. I mod my phones and PSP, and mostly everything I have, in my free time, so it's like trial and error. I almost bricked my PSP once, and also almost rendered my SE phone unusable, but it doesn't worry me a bit.

~Kelvin

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
So Im not a professional on dual boot, or triple boot systems for that matter. From what I've heard, VMWare, a program designed to create a virtual partition can allow you to run an OS virtually instead of an actual partition on your hard drive, so if you run Ubuntu or Vista in VMWare you can try it out, and if you dont like it, it wont be a problem because it was run on a VIRTUAL partition, rather than a logical partition on your hard drive. Perhaps this might be able to give you a choice in OS without having to backup, reinstall, and re-partition your hard drive. Again, I don't know much about VMWare myself, but I've heard it's pretty handy if you wanna try out another Operation System.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
VMware has a trial only - and yes, I know VMware. What I was having in mind is an OS that can start up faster than XP and Vista... that's why I chose Ubuntu. VMware would make the Ubuntu feel different, that's why I wanna find out how to partition D without touching C.

~Kelvin

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hmmm umm perhaps Parition Magic or any partitioning tool might allow you to do that.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Yeah, I suppose so too - but I am afraid it doesn't, so I'm waiting for a techie to reply. Thanks though ^_^

~Kelvin

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if y ou're just wanting to try things out you should honestly go for VMware....if you get VMware server...it's actually free....not a trial free...but free...VMware does not change the functionality of the OS at all...ever...you may notice SOME slowing of the OS if you're doing alot of stuff outside of the VM but if you limit your activity to VM only stuff then it should be fine....."trying things out" by modifying partitions is a dangerous concept...you can mess up a lot

such as the Vista "wiping out xp" deal you mentioned....if y ou install vista AFTER you installed XP it will rewrite the boot sector and you'll have to do some extra stuff to get XP to boot again...installing ubuntu after XP will not cause this (if memory serves correct) because the linux boot loader will detect the XP install and add it to the boot list before rewriting the MBR

Kelvin

Kelvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Thanks for the info dsenette - but can VMware work as a 2nd OS? I want to test Ubuntu's boot speed, that's the main reason I'm posting this topic now.

~Kelvin