Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-installing Vista

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
If I need to Re-install Vista with an OEM copy what exactly do I need to do with the harddrive first. I have been told that I must wipe out the harddrive and then reinstall vista.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm not sure about the licensing restriction nuances of the OEM version, but when I reinstall with my retail version of Vista I simply boot from the DVD and select Install... In the process I delete the partition Vista is on, then remake it and reformat it, effectively wiping the drive. Then I continue with the installation as normal. Hope that helps.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes it helps. But I was also wondering how do I reformat the hard drive?

Edited by georgewashington16, 01 February 2008 - 09:37 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
When you are repartitioning the drive it will be automatically reformatted.

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
You don't have to do anything to the hard drive, just go to PC recovery or something like that in the start menu. and let the computer do it's thing. Select the Destructive option, this means that your OS will be brought back to factory settings and all data will be wiped out. You could also use the DVDs your burned at the first boot up (if you have one) to reformat the PC, but it will be slower.

Here's a guide on the HP website for HP computers, It would be almost the same for other computer brands.

PC Recovery