Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't know what my problem is.

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello, I would appreciate any help I could get.

My computer started running really slow. The next thing I know my Microsoft office programs (exel, word) disappeared. Now my AOL is gone. And when I click start and all programs, no programs appear.

I have McAfee firewall. I also run Adaware and Spybot often, but I haven't renewed my Norton Antivirus subscription in nearly a year. I am planning to renew it tomorrow, but I don't know if my problem is too much.

When I did an adaware search, I had four critical objects called "Lycos sidesearch," so I deleted them from the registry.

Any advice?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I suggest doing some scans for virus, trojans, and other maliscious stuff. Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run housecall, on line scan. It is free. Clean up what it finds. If you still have problems after that, go to the malware section of this forum and work your way thru the sticky posts. http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html :tazz:

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to work on it tonight a little bit.