Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken?

• Please log in to reply

Nixu

Nixu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

I built a new system two weeks ago and it ran fine till last wednesday. When I booted my computer Windows was starting slower than normally. First I tought that it's was only Windows lagging, but when I started Far Cry the computer crashed and rebooted. I still tought that is was Windows and I tried to re-install it. But after the Windows installer copied the required files to my hard drive and rebooted, my computer got a disk read error. I decided to run some hard drive diagnostic programs to see if my hard drive had bad sectors. No, I didn't have any bad sectors. Then I decided to run memtest86+ and I got two errors. And yesterday when I wanted to check each memory separately (I have two A-Data 2GB 800MHz 5-5-5-18), I put my memtest86+ cd to my cd/dvd drive and tried to boot it, but it got stuck to the "Boot from Cd :"-screen.

My computer specs:
Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, G0 stepping
Memory: two A-Data 2GB 800MHz 5-5-5-18
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA II
Graphics Card: some nVidia 6200 (temporarily)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try removing 1 stick of ram and retest with memtest...no errors its the other stick thats bad..any errors at all swap the sticks and retest...
some mobo's require that if only using 1 stick it be in a particular slot...check for this in the mobo manual
example...asus A8N-E requires that if only 1 stick of ram it has to be in slot B1

Edited by happyrck, 02 February 2008 - 09:15 AM.

Nixu

Nixu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

try removing 1 stick of ram and retest with memtest...no errors its the other stick thats bad..any errors at all swap the sticks and retest...
some mobo's require that if only using 1 stick it be in a particular slot...check for this in the mobo manual
example...asus A8N-E requires that if only 1 stick of ram it has to be in slot B1

I tried to boot the memtest86+ cd with one ram stick at the time and also tried them in each DIMM slot, but it didn't boot. Could my mobo be dead?

Nixu

Nixu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I borrowed one of my friends ram sticks to test if my computer would work with it, but it didn't. So is my motherboard broken?

[EDIT]
I remove my hard drive from my computer and it booted fine. I'm going to RMA my hard drive and get a new one.

Edited by Nixu, 04 February 2008 - 02:24 PM.