Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

buster2209

buster2209

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimension with 1GB and wanted to upgrade so I got my self two 512Mb sticks

The comp has 2 extra ports - 2 and 4 are empty.

When I put one of the sticks in ports 2, I get 1.5Gb of RAM but when I put the other in port 4 the comp loads up with a black screen and on it is written;

"X300T - BIOS P/N 113-A33437 - 102"

I've tried EVERY combination of sticks and I still get the same result

Any thoughts on this one, it's a new one for me!!

Edited by buster2209, 02 February 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What model number?
Do you have diagnostic lights on this dell? If so what ones are lit when you recieve this error.
My guess is the bios don't like the 4th stick installed maybe the system can't handle that much ram

Edited by Doby, 02 February 2008 - 08:03 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
what DELL DIMENSION are you using? you might want to check what's the maximum memory your computer can handle.

Try isolating the problem to the last two memory sticks that you added to your system.
Check to see what particular memory stick is having the problem.

Plugged the first two memory in the computer (the one that originally came w/ your computer)
And plugged one of the new memory you got. (see if the computer will work with this)
If no problem occurs, plugged the other new memory you got and remove the other (new) memory and see if it will work.
If there's no problem tried plugging in all four of them to see if the problem will still occur.
Also try to check if it's a memory slot problem. Sometimes it the slot where the memory is plugged.

Edited by wytboy55, 02 February 2008 - 08:48 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can allso try putting the old sticks in slots 2 and 4 and see if they work. If so then the slots are o.k.

buster2209

buster2209

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The max it can hold is 4GB, 1GB in each slot

I currently have 2 of the new sticks in and one of the OEM ones

I have them in ports 2,3 and 4 so the sticks OR port 4 aren't the problem.........

Edited by buster2209, 04 February 2008 - 11:16 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sometimes a bump one notch up amd the ram voltage helps with this but I will bet your dell bios does not have that feature