Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Assistance, Please.

• Please log in to reply

absolute destruction

absolute destruction

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I recently bought a new graphics card. It's a 128mb GeForce 6200 Series, AGP. I'm facing some problems please help me. Here is what i did: Firstly, i uninstalled my drivers for my old card. Then i replaced the old card with the new card which is specified above. Secondly, i used the CD which was included with the new card. On the options of the CD i selected graphics card installation. But, a message came up telling me that i had to uninstall my current drivers, so this confused me as i already have uninstalled them. So decided to take a look at the manual, and it said i should visit the nVidia site to install the drivers, so i did. On the site i specified my card details and i received a download from them which was the drivers. So i installed them, and as you know i had to restart my computer and such, which i did. However, it did not restart properly, instead a text emerged and it said that an unexpected error occured because of new software or hardware installation and it gave me options to select from, so i chose 'start windows normally', and it went through the process of starting up. It reached the screen where it shows 'Windows' and it loading up. But instead of loading it restarted itself again and the same text emerged again as specified above. So i selected 'Last known good configuration', and it started up normally. So now i have no drviers and my system is running very slow. Also, dxdiag is not identifying my device and every time i scroll up or down, instead of scrolling, it refreshes itself and goes down to the location i scrolled down to, which is annoying. Anyway, sorry for the really long message, could you please help? (My operating system is an XP by the way, just incase it doesnt display it). Thanks!

Edited by absolute destruction, 04 February 2008 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Download drivercleaner to your desktop and install

drivercleaner

Download these video drivers
Drivers

Remove any drivers relating to video with add/remove programs and reboot into safe mode, then run drivercleaner and remove any leftover drivers relating to video.

Powerdown and install the new card, reboot tapping F8 repeatedly and select vga mode, disable your antivirus and install the drivers.

Good luck!