Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home edition BSOD

• Please log in to reply

tnycman

tnycman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's been acting up and rebooting contantly(XP hime edtiton ).. I insatlled and spyware removal, and Kaspersky AV.
I scaned for spywres and found few and removed, while scaning with AV the system kept crashing to the point that don't boot anymore..

I tried to get to recovery console with the XP OS CD, but crashed again tierd to enter the setup from the OS CD still the smae thing BSOD..

This is what I get on the screen:

The following problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntfs.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time..............(not writing all)

Tehcnical info:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE11C7000, 0x00000000, 0xF74FEE89, 0x00000001)

*** ntfs.sys - Adress F74FEE89 base at F7491000, Datestamp 3b7dc5d0

this is what I get, i can't get to recovery console, or even load a new OS on the laptop...

Anyone who had the same experience and was able to fix it!

Please let me know

Thanks for reading my oist...

Regards,
Tim

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
may be a heat issue...does it do this right after booting up...
have you tried to run the AV scan in safe mode...

Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

use another computer to do this if yours keeps hanging/crashing...

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

set the bios to boot from the he cd drive first...then the Hard drive C:
get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

tnycman

tnycman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Happyrck,

thanks for taking your time to respond...

may be a heat issue...does it do this right after booting up...
have you tried to run the AV scan in safe mode...

Yes, right after boots up i et the BSOD..
right now I cnat get to none of the options save mode, not ever recovery console with the OS cd.. It keeps crashing.

I will try the memory tool you post as well as something called Knoppix ntfsfix that I read is useful.

Thanks again..

Tim